iBook HD options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by switchr92, Aug 11, 2005.

1. switchr92 macrumors member

Hey, I plan on getting an iBook in a week or so, but I'm torn; get the standard 40GB or upgrade to 60GB (I won't go higher from apple; too $$).

Here's the details of the situation; I have a gig and a half of music, growing VERY slowly. Two gigs of iPhotos, growing faster, but not too fast. iBook will have to last me for 5 years of music, photos, and mostly page and keynote files (4 school).

Not going to get external drive. One option for me is get standard 40GB and replace with an internal 60/80GB 5400RPM drive. Where to get the drive, how to get OSX on it, I have no idea. please tell me how.

I need help, please tell me anything you can.

On a side note, I plan on getting another 512MB ram stick, anyone know a cheap one thats guaranteed to work? Please help ASAP.

(NOTE: spending limit $1,200)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're comfortable installing a drive (getting one in an iBook is tough but not impossible), then all the normal 2.5" ATA notebook drives will do. So getting one is easy. What others have done is to buy one with a firewire enclosure (which is not that expensive), use something like CarbonCopyCloner to clone the old hard drive over to it, and then install it in the computer. You could then use the original drive in the enclosure as a just-once-in-a-while, if you wanted. Or do whatever with it. That's if you need to get the data off the original HD. If you don't, I think you can throw it in, and boot off the Tiger DVD and use the install DVD to format the drive and install Tiger.

3. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

OWC (www.macsales.com) has 512MB RAM for $51.95; they guarantee Mac compatability & have lifetime warranty.
    Datamem (www.datamem.com) is another company with a good reputation on this site; at this time, they're charging $59 for their 512MB stick.

Good luck!

4. switchr92 thread starter macrumors member

Thanx!

Thanx guys. As 4 the hard drive, what you said makes sense, but I need to know pricing, or at least an estimated price range. If u could get that 4 me, I'd really appreciate it. And about the RAM, thanx again, I'll take that into consideration.

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I'd suggest (semi reluctantly) the 60GB from Apple. You mention lasting 5 years and I think you'll find that in 5 years everything has occupied more space than you thought it would.

As far as installing a 5400RPM drive, I'd say that's great except there is a good chance it voids your warranty. Yes it's a pain also. I could live with a pain in the butt install, but I don't want them dropping my warranty in the event I need something.

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Google will help you with some of those answers ;) :eek: :p

7. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

installing a new HD voids the warranty unless you pay an exhorbant fee to have an apple tech install it, it costs a lot of money to upgrade the hd, but think about it, $180 or less to go up to 100gb, but it would cost you 150 for a new 60 gb drive at 5400 + 100 install fee which equals total price of 250, i would say it is cheaper and better to upgrade to the largest drive available(which is what i did) than to upgrade on your own