iBook HD problems vs. battery life

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Fmonkey, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Fmonkey macrumors newbie

Hi all, Hope this isn't repeating any earlier threads, but I did a search and nothing came up so here goes.

I have a 2 year old iBook G4 1.0Ghz running on 10.4
    Recently my hard drive has been making sputtering and loud clicking noises, which occasionally results in the system getting hung up. I've used disk utility, but because I only have a 10.3.4 install disc the results are iffy, but generally claim there is no problem, although I know there must be.

I've also noticed that over the past few months my battery life has fallen off sharply. I was planning on getting a new one for school in the fall, but now I am wondering if my hard drive troubles may be causing reduced battery efficiency.

I will probably replace one if not both components, but I was basically wondering:

1. If there is any possible connecting between the two.
    2. If those sounds and the lagging of my system are really the last sounds of a dying hard drive as I suspect they are.

Thanks for any help!

2. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Batterys will drop off sharply after 3 years of use, which yours is around.
    As for the HD: You may want to look for a new one soon, and start backing up your stuff cause clinking and popping noise mean imminent HD Failure!!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you been calibrating your battery regularly? Maybe give that a whirl. Also, try fsck if you're not confident with the Disk Utility on the Panther install discs. Technically they should come up with the same response, but maybe give it a try all the same. :)