ibook hinge trauma... ouch

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appaddict, Aug 19, 2006.

1. appaddict macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Hello, My wife has an early Ibook 500 MHZ PowerPC G3 with 640 MB SDRAM. Besides it being slow it is faithful and we have been using it without problem. However, a few days ago the hinge started being difficult to open, and she tried to open it again today and it broke! The plastic at the base of the screen broke. (See attached Photo)

It is still working, she just has trouble opening and closing it, and I am afraid it is on its last legs. Is this worth fixing? How much would something like this cost to be fixed at an Apple Store? :eek:

See attached photo!

_ appaddict

Attached Files:

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Even if it only costs you $200 to fix it, It will be (IMHO) too much to spend on a machine that is heavily outdated. Put the money to a new mac - you'll be very happy :)
  3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    If you can live with it as it is, then just keep using it until it dies. A repair would likely cost more than you can get for it if you tried to sell it. If anything, just buy a new Mac.
  4. neib macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    Awww that sucks, I remember my Ibook g3 always had that stiff to open problem too. Maybe you can try some duct tape/zap glue or and rivets to piece it back together. You can get an ibook g3 for 200 dollars on ebay. So if you get it professionally repaired and it's over that, or even near it, I would just either get another ebay'd ibook or an upgraded laptop.
    Hardware in general will start to show problems in around 5 years. . . and we are at around year five for those? I would consider upgrading to a macbook for the next 5 years.
    Heck, i'd sell you my old one for cheap if someone hadn't stolen it recently -_-. I'm sure you'll find other people would be willing to do the same.
  5. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005

Sorry to hear it. We have a 600/G3 here still being used. Great machine, but like they said above, with a Macbook running at $1000 for a many fold better computing experience... it would be hard to justify the repair cost. :(
  6. appaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006

HI Guys, thanks for all the good feedback. Yup, I thought that was the case. I design websites for a living, and she has started to help me on this, so.... needless to say she needs a new ibook. Dreamweaver is dragging to say the least on her little ibook, now this hinge thing. :eek:

So if she has to buy a used ibook, powerbook? For about 500 dollars, what do you suggest? An early G4 powerbook or ibook? Just wondering. I noticed she was not too upset at the notion of having to get a new one, she just read your replies. :p ;)

Thanks! Appaddict
  7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    If you're technically minded you could look on eBay for a hinge or a display case and fix it yourself. I did that on this iBook that I'm typing now and it cost be about $20 to fix.
    Upgrading to a G4 would be a big plus though imo.