iBook Hot! Fan running with Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSaint, May 9, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've noticed my iBook has been running hot since I installed Tiger last week...hot on my lap. I've had the iBook since last August and place it on my lap often hours at a time, and I've never noticed this kind of heat. So I downloaded Temperature Monitor, and here are the readings:

Battery: 87.8F
    Processor Bottomside: 144.1F
    Graphics Processor Die: 140.9F
    Power Supply/Memory Bottomside: 124.2F
    SMART Disk TOSHIBA MK4025G: 118.4F

This cannot be good! I can't tell if the fan is running. I don't hear anything or feel anything out of the back of the laptop, so I'm guessing it's not running.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm not a 'heavy' user, though I have Adium, Firefox, Entourage going most of the time.

2. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Checked Activity Monitor for any hung processes consuming your CPU?

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I watched that the other night. Nothing out of the ordinary. As a matter of fact most processes were idle.

Although, I just checked, what the heck is 'TrueBlueEnvironme' and why is it taking nearly 80% of my CPU?

EDIT: It was my Classic OS 9 running in the background! I did a Force Quit with no problems. Though I'm still not sure if the fan is running or not.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

My fan came on for the first time in the 7 months I've owned it the other night.

Spotlight was indexing.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Man, I am very jealous of iBook owners because of that. I can't use my 12" PB for more then 10 minutes before the fans come on and stay on the whole time until I either put the system to sleep or shut it off.