Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
Before I purchase an iBook, can anyone please explain the firmware process to me. I need to have the dual monitor setup; and money is an issue, so I can't afford the PB.

I would appreciate any help.

doubledark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
wwooden said:
go here. If should tell you everything you need to know. I have never done it but I'm sure some people around here have.

can anyone please explain the firmware process to me. I know that link but on OS 9 I can't open the file to see what's involved; that's why I'm asking for help from someone who has done the upgrade.
thanks

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
doubledark said:
can anyone please explain the firmware process to me.

It's easy, the download contains an AppleScript. Double click it and you'll be given three options, "Enable Spanning", "Disable Spanning" and "Cancel". So you also use the same script if you ever want to revert it back to factory specs.

The script doesn't actually "Flash" the firmware it just changes a default value saved in firmware, you can also do a standard firmware reset and the iBook will be back to the default settings, it doesn't do anything permanent or harmful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.