iBook, iMac, or eMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by empvector, Jul 18, 2005.

1. empvector macrumors newbie

Hello, I am entering college next year. I have used some iMac models few years ago and for some reasons I was required to use PC... now I am willing to go back to Mac once again.

Because I am rather short on money, I am considering 12" iBook, 17" iMac, or an eMac.

I mainly do music producing. I won't be using logic pro, but I think I will be using a good deal of GarageBand. Also I do some simple design and web stuff so I will use photoshop. Other than that, I will be using some math-related applications.

Portability is a plus since I write a lot whenever I have time between classes, and I really used my dell laptop well for last two years. Since I want to have line-in built into the computer (Or I will get a Creative Audigy...) and I want more viewing space, I think iMac is a good option but iBook is too tempting.

I will have to see the coming update for iBook before I decide (I have one month to decide), but I would like some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

2. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

if i was you i would wait a little bit for the ibook update but if it doesnt come soon or we dont at least see some credible rumors the you should go ahead and get an imac

3. jmufellow macrumors regular

If portability isn't a must, go for the iMac. I got an eMac last year for my first year in college and it's a good computer, but I wish I would have waited for the new iMacs to come out. The iMacs have the better G5 processor, etc. But if you really want/need portability I suppose go for the ibook, which is similar to the eMac in processor speed.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If the iBooks aren't updated this month, go with the iMac..I wouldn't get the eMac..

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Take the eMac out straight away. Then you've got to decide what you want - portability or a bit more power. I would go for the iBook - I love mine - but it all depends on what you require.

::20ROGERSC::

6. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

By all means, go for a portable! Portables are much better than desktops for college. My sister had an iMac G3 for her first two years, and she brought it back home because she needed a laptop for classes and going to the library. For the next two years, she used a Dell Inspirion, and was happier with that because she could take it places.

As for you, I recommend an iBook.. Portables are great, and the iBook is a great machine for school. However, music production can sometimes be hard on the processor and hard drive. I would recommend a PowerBook for you, but since money's tight, go for the iBook. You won't regret it.

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Wait for the iBook revision and pick one up; I'm almost certainly getting an iBook within the next two months.