Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
new Ibook 14 inch now and Imac (later) vs. powerbook 17 inch sep/oct

Needs:
For PowerPoint presentations (teaching 1. and 2. year students) , music, film and average student activities.

2 problems:

Is the updated Ibook enough or should I wait for the update of the powerbooks?

I can get a Ibook and Imac for the same price of a 17 inch powerbook. What do you recommend me to do?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Many find that the 17" PowerBook can be too large for portability. You might find the 15" a better choice if you choose to go that way. The iBook should fulfill your needs. An iMac would make for an awesome desktop. You should add 1 GB of RAM and AppleCare.

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
mad jew said:
Since I have an iBook and iMac, I can safely say it's well worth it. Much better than an ultimately very compromised PowerBook. :)

I totally agree. I too have an iMac & iBook, and it is very nice having a powerful desktop and a very portable / capable laptop. :)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I'm a new Mac user, but I'd say go with the iBook/iMac combo. That way if something screws up on one computer, you can use the other computer. AppleCare is a must by the way.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
15" Powerbook?

One option would be iBook and iMac. The iBook is rugged, has great battery life, and will handle mostly anything you put it through. And you would have an iMac G5, which will handle any audio/photo/video editing you through at it.
Another consideration, the one I'd choose, would be a 12" or 15" powerbook and an external display. One big reason is because you always have your files and applications in one place. For example, if you wanted to get microsoft office for both iBook and iMac, you would have to either have to buy two version of the standard edition or buy student and teacher edition, which can't be upgraded. It tends to be easier not to have to sync comps all the time.
Definately stay away from the 17" powerbook. Don't get me wrong, it's is a beatiful laptop, and definately apples strongest leg up from the PC world (17" PC laptops tend to weight between 8 and 10 pounds, and be 1.4 and 2 inches thick; 17" powerbook weighs less then 7 pound and is 1" thick). It's just too bulky to travel around with regularly. If you want considerable power in a VERY portable package, the 12" is slightly better suited, but in my opinion, the 15" is perfect. Almost as much power as the 17" in a smaller frame (vs. 12" which lacks a lot of what the 15" does), and still a lot of screen real estate for your apps.
One last thought to point out. I don't think it's worth it, but if you choose the 12" powerbook, you will have enough for a 20" apple cinema display, and you might think it worth it.
Good luck with what ever you get.

The best,
Switchr

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
One more vote for the iMac/iBook combo; the combination of great portability and moderate power is just plain better than having to compromise both aspects just to get them in one package.

Edit: I agree with Switchr; if you're going to get the Powerbook, get the 15". They always are the best value in the Powerbook line.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Wait 4 the Update

Another tip I just remembered, wait for the powerbook update as long as you can. As long as you don't need it yet, you could wait a little while and get a more powerful computer for the same price, or maybe even less.

seitobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
:cool:
Thank you very much everyone!

Its a great relief getting new thoughts into tricky problems

Will take a look in the apple store today, but I think I'll wait for the PB update!

seitobs

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
switchr92 said:
One option would be iBook and iMac. The iBook is rugged, has great battery life, and will handle mostly anything you put it through. And you would have an iMac G5, which will handle any audio/photo/video editing you through at it.
Another consideration, the one I'd choose, would be a 12" or 15" powerbook and an external display. One big reason is because you always have your files and applications in one place. For example, if you wanted to get microsoft office for both iBook and iMac, you would have to either have to buy two version of the standard edition or buy student and teacher edition, which can't be upgraded. It tends to be easier not to have to sync comps all the time.
Definately stay away from the 17" powerbook. Don't get me wrong, it's is a beatiful laptop, and definately apples strongest leg up from the PC world (17" PC laptops tend to weight between 8 and 10 pounds, and be 1.4 and 2 inches thick; 17" powerbook weighs less then 7 pound and is 1" thick). It's just too bulky to travel around with regularly. If you want considerable power in a VERY portable package, the 12" is slightly better suited, but in my opinion, the 15" is perfect. Almost as much power as the 17" in a smaller frame (vs. 12" which lacks a lot of what the 15" does), and still a lot of screen real estate for your apps.
One last thought to point out. I don't think it's worth it, but if you choose the 12" powerbook, you will have enough for a 20" apple cinema display, and you might think it worth it.
Good luck with what ever you get.

The best,
Switchr

This makes no sense. Why in the world would you go with one G4 PowerBook, when you can have an Ibook G4 AND an iMac G5? I really think the money is better spent getting both- that way you have portability AND power.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
leekohler said:
This makes no sense. Why in the world would you go with one G4 PowerBook, when you can have an Ibook G4 AND an iMac G5? I really think the money is better spent getting both- that way you have portability AND power.

couldn't agree more... why in the world spend all the money on one very limited g4 notebook... when you can get a g4 notebook that is a great deal, and a VERY fast and beautiful desktop- with a g5

:confused:

StylePower

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2004
Norway
Go for the iBook + iMac. I've got an iMac and a iBook, and I really love that combination. Powerful iMac at home and a good enough iBook I mainly use at school. :cool:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Definately go iBook and iMac!! You will not regret it at all. PB's are pretty overrated right now...

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I say go iBook and iMac, seems to be the better deal, as opposed to the powerbook, that will actually compromise portability, and is probably the worst bargain at the present moment. Also, it will let you split up that cost, as opposed to having to drop it all on the powerbook now.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Another iBook and iMac vote here. I love my iBook and it runs great. You may get your iBook and find yourself not needing the iMac for awhile ;)

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
The 17" PB isn't really an option. You don't get great portability and you don't get great power. :(
I say go with the iMac/iBook option, or iMac/12" PB.
But if you really feel that you only need one, and you need the portability, then go with the (updated) 15" PB. :)

Either way - wait for Paris Expo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.