Ibook + Imac vs. 17 inch powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by seitobs, Aug 10, 2005.

1. seitobs macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    new Ibook 14 inch now and iMac (later) vs. powerbook 17 inch sep/oct

For PowerPoint presentations (teaching 1. and 2. year students) , music, film and average student activities.

2 problems:

Is the updated Ibook enough or should I wait for the update of the powerbooks?

I can get a Ibook and Imac for the same price of a 17 inch powerbook. What do you recommend me to do?
  2. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I think I'd go for the iBook and iMac combo, unless you really need a powerful portable.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Many find that the 17" PowerBook can be too large for portability. You might find the 15" a better choice if you choose to go that way. The iBook should fulfill your needs. An iMac would make for an awesome desktop. You should add 1 GB of RAM and AppleCare.
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    how about a 12 inch PB with a 17in external LCD?
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Since I have an iBook and iMac, I can safely say it's well worth it. Much better than an ultimately very compromised PowerBook. :)
  6. Vster macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Celina, TX
    I totally agree. I too have an iMac & iBook, and it is very nice having a powerful desktop and a very portable / capable laptop. :)
  7. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have an iBook and a PowerMac. I find that's the best combo for me, but if I were you, I'd do the iMac and iBook.
  8. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    what's the ultimate combo? just look at my signature!
  9. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    I'm a new Mac user, but I'd say go with the iBook/iMac combo. That way if something screws up on one computer, you can use the other computer. AppleCare is a must by the way.
  10. switchr92 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    15" Powerbook?

One option would be iBook and iMac. The iBook is rugged, has great battery life, and will handle mostly anything you put it through. And you would have an iMac G5, which will handle any audio/photo/video editing you through at it.
    Another consideration, the one I'd choose, would be a 12" or 15" powerbook and an external display. One big reason is because you always have your files and applications in one place. For example, if you wanted to get microsoft office for both iBook and iMac, you would have to either have to buy two version of the standard edition or buy student and teacher edition, which can't be upgraded. It tends to be easier not to have to sync comps all the time.
    Definately stay away from the 17" powerbook. Don't get me wrong, it's is a beatiful laptop, and definately apples strongest leg up from the PC world (17" PC laptops tend to weight between 8 and 10 pounds, and be 1.4 and 2 inches thick; 17" powerbook weighs less then 7 pound and is 1" thick). It's just too bulky to travel around with regularly. If you want considerable power in a VERY portable package, the 12" is slightly better suited, but in my opinion, the 15" is perfect. Almost as much power as the 17" in a smaller frame (vs. 12" which lacks a lot of what the 15" does), and still a lot of screen real estate for your apps.
    One last thought to point out. I don't think it's worth it, but if you choose the 12" powerbook, you will have enough for a 20" apple cinema display, and you might think it worth it.
    Good luck with what ever you get.

The best,
  11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    One more vote for the iMac/iBook combo; the combination of great portability and moderate power is just plain better than having to compromise both aspects just to get them in one package.

Edit: I agree with Switchr; if you're going to get the Powerbook, get the 15". They always are the best value in the Powerbook line.
  12. switchr92 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    Wait 4 the Update

Another tip I just remembered, wait for the powerbook update as long as you can. As long as you don't need it yet, you could wait a little while and get a more powerful computer for the same price, or maybe even less.
  13. seitobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    Thank you very much everyone!

Its a great relief getting new thoughts into tricky problems

Will take a look in the apple store today, but I think I'll wait for the PB update!

14. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    This makes no sense. Why in the world would you go with one G4 PowerBook, when you can have an Ibook G4 AND an iMac G5? I really think the money is better spent getting both- that way you have portability AND power.
  15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    couldn't agree more... why in the world spend all the money on one very limited g4 notebook... when you can get a g4 notebook that is a great deal, and a VERY fast and beautiful desktop- with a g5

16. StylePower macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2004
    Go for the iBook + iMac. I've got an iMac and a iBook, and I really love that combination. Powerful iMac at home and a good enough iBook I mainly use at school. :cool:
  17. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    Definately go iBook and iMac!! You will not regret it at all. PB's are pretty overrated right now...
  18. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    I say go iBook and iMac, seems to be the better deal, as opposed to the powerbook, that will actually compromise portability, and is probably the worst bargain at the present moment. Also, it will let you split up that cost, as opposed to having to drop it all on the powerbook now.
  19. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Another iBook and iMac vote here. I love my iBook and it runs great. You may get your iBook and find yourself not needing the iMac for awhile ;)
  20. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2004
    Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
    The 17" PB isn't really an option. You don't get great portability and you don't get great power. :(
    I say go with the iMac/iBook option, or iMac/12" PB.
    But if you really feel that you only need one, and you need the portability, then go with the (updated) 15" PB. :)

Either way - wait for Paris Expo.