ibook in MS ad?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nichos, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Attached Files:

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice catch! Perhaps MS is starting to see the light... ;)

4. Lurk macrumors member

Hmm.. Why would they go about putting an iBook in an MS Ad? Obviously it doesn't run the MS Windows Server System...

5. ChoMomma macrumors 6502

ChoMomma

too funny.. always fun.. guess their graphics guys are using Macs :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And your point is...?
    The ad is for Microsoft Server 2003. A laptop is never gonna be the server, but the client. MS Server 2003 is a perfectly valid server environment for a Mac enterprise. Arguably, it kicks the snot out of OSX Server for performance.

(If I had a network of 500 Mac clients to set up, the server OS is sure as h=!! more likely to be MS Server than OSX Server.)

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I've seen that add a couple of times in a magazine at the office. I never saw the iBook. Doh!

8. nichos thread starter macrumors 6502

nichos

I don't know where to start, but you're wrong wrong wrong. A server doesn't have to be google or yahoo! A server just 'serves' a 'client' (see wikipedia for the definition) My iBook acts just fine as a server. Granted, it doesn't serve much, or many, but it does fine as a server by definition. So would a 98 machine running apache.

Since you asked, my point was - why advertise a different client, when you offer a client, and a server? Even though the ad was for server, why promote a different client than the one you're selling?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To show compatibility? :)

Just think of Macs and PCs working together in the same environment, harmoniously. Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbuya.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Probably because the ad agency that made it put in the'book cause they look good.

11. nichos thread starter macrumors 6502

nichos

Yeah, cause M$ is all about that:rolleyes:
    I was just pointing out the irony, didn't mean to start a holy war

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So was your question rhetorical? I agree with you in part, but I can still see the reasons behind using an iBook in a Microsoft Server ad. :)

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not particularly rare. Microsoft's advertising people use Macs. Periodically, they show Macs in their ads, even for things that run only on Windows. Contrary to the high-blown explanations in other posts, it is not about interoperability. You can't run Windows XP natively on a Power Mac, but we have seen XP screens PSed on Apple monitors (connected to Power Mac computers), even on the MS website. When this happens, the Mac community enjoys the moment for a few days. Then we get back to our lives.

14. al3000 macrumors 6502

I thought you were referring to the one the man was holding..completely missed the other one! Nice find.

15. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

It's nice to get the news here, rather then digg because every time there is a mac story the fanboys from both sides duke it out (which is really getting old). Some PC users actually thought that was a powerbook... well just goes to show. ;) :p

16. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If OSX is going to X86, and Macs are to use an Intel X86 Architecture, who's to say that the I-iBook's won't run Windows XP or Vista (for that matter) - well who's to say that any I-xMac won't run both OS X Leopard and Vista. There's speculation that you can run one OS on top of the other - when I find the link to that I'll post it. Something about Rosetta is supposed to help with that.

Ciao guys.

17. Morn macrumors 6502

Hopefully the ibooks will get an updated look, out with the old in with the new as they say.
    Anyway, Vista is going to try and emulate a lot of OSX's features, the eye candy, core image, quartz extreme. Microsoft has technologies that do the same.