iBook indigo 366mhz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BigRed3373, Feb 18, 2007.

1. BigRed3373 macrumors member

Just got this ibook from ebay and it works good and i was able to bypass the password and such however this eerie noise whirring sound is annoying and worse on battery power can someone tell me what it is and how to quiet it down if so i am going nuts with this machine noise thanks its for my husband and i have another indigo coming so we will be matched.

Red

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Hmm. I almost bought one, but I was outbid. Darn.

As for the whirring noise...I think its the fan.:rolleyes: And it may try to keep itself cooler(ie the fans get louder) when on battery because electronics, IIRC, are more efficient when cooler.

3. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

Gee maybe i out bided you LOL:p probably not. okay so its the fan ill take that.

One more question the battery is dropping in % every minute or so why is it doing that is about ready to die see now its 82 down from 83 really strange thanks:confused:

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I just bought one of those for my grandma... it's great because everything's nice and big on the low-res screen.

Anyway, hers has the same problem... and I can't quite figure out why. It does that while it's charging for some reason. On hers the light around the charger changes from green to orange every other second and makes this horrible noise while doing it. It seems as if it's charging briefly and then stopping. Is that the same symptoms as yours?

Interestingly (and thankfully) it stops doing that once it's fully charged. My grandma doesn't mind, or notice it for that matter, since she uses it plugged in all the time. Hopefully it'll be the same for you. Sorry I can't offer a solution, but at least it's not just yours.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Maybe it's time for a new battery :rolleyes:

6. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

That's what I thought with mine... but the battery seems great otherwise; It holds about 5 hours of charge. Do you think a new battery would fix it? I'm just curious.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I honestly have no idea :) I know if a battery loses charge quickly it's probably because it's had too many cycles, but apart from that I know squat, as I've never owned a laptop :) Maybe a Genius could help you with that

8. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

Hi all

I dont have any chargeing issues it stays orange then green when full charged but its werid that it drops like it does i am 7wait 69 know and hasnt been that long i posted. So maybe i need to get the battery

maybe the charging board on your grandmas maybe going i am not sure and its a wild hair guess :rolleyes:

9. Roba macrumors 6502

I used to own a clamshell a little ago but i sold it a month ago.
    My clamshell was pretty silent. What i have read though from some other clamshell owners is that the original hard drive in these clamshells can get pretty noisy at times and especially when they are nearing the end of there life span. If you bought a clamshell with an original drive in it then that could be your problem. Those drives will now be at least 7 years old now.

Maybe you could look into upgrading your hard drive and replacing it with a newer one if you are using an old one.
    I put a 60 gig 5,400RPM drive in mine and it was perfect.

10. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I would also suspect the hard drive. When I got my Powermac used, you could also hear a loud whirring sound. After I replaced the original 30 gig drive the system went dead silent. That's when I realised the all the sound was coming from the old hard drive. I would say, try to figure out were in the laptop the noise is coming from. See if the location matches up with the location of a specific piece of hardware.