iBook - Intermittent Video

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iPodGod, Feb 25, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
    Ted

2. macrumors 68000

amacgenius

You may be having a common problem a lot of G3 iBook users had, try reading this and see if you qualify - if so - take your iBook to an Apple store and show them.

If not, then try replacing the display (although your video card could be fried).

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. Will the fact that I opened up the iBook void my chance at getting a new logic board?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

5. macrumors G4

Mord

when the display go's is it just the backlight, you can test this by putting a bright light behind the apple when it happens, if so you can replace the backlight cable and it will fix the problem, the lines are a symptom of the logic board problem with that you are infact boned, though parts are fairly cheap right now.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not the backlight because when I don't get video on the LCD, I also don't get video on an attached external monitor. When I get video on the LCD, I get video perfectly on the attached external monitor. I think all of my problems are a result of a loose/bad cable because when I do get video, there are no lines until I move around the iBook. When I move around the iBook, it sometimes locks up and shows lines. Do you think it's a cable? If so, what cable would it be?

7. macrumors G4

Mord

the logic board problems are caused by the logic board being stressed thus when you move it the little wires in the pcb touch again and it'll have an effect.