Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Andr_w, May 20, 2004.

1. Andr_w macrumors newbie

May 20, 2004
    Should I get an ibook? :confused:

I live in Texas and I am going to live in Germany for a year. In a tiny little german town where there probably wont be a lot of internet cafes. I need a fast, reliable internet connection to use there. I'd rather not assume the folks I'm boarding will want me to use their connection all the time. Plus, I want to travel with it. What should I do???? :eek:

thanks. :cool:
  2. josepho macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    Surrey, England
    1. Sure, the iBook will deal with high speed internet access fine. I'd say the 12" version is a great buy.

2. The options for internet access are very limited. Unless you can use the family's internet connection (hopefully broadband) and if there aren't any internet cafés, then your only hope would be to hook it up to access the net over GPRS (data over the mobile telephone network). Unfortunately, this is neither high speed, reliable or cheap... You're gonna be paying probably 5€-10€ for every megabyte of data transferred, and at speeds which can go no higher than about 40kb/sec, but are more likely to be under half that...

The best thing to do would be to see what kinda connection the family/whoever you're stayin' with have, and try and spounge off that as much as possible... maybe even buying a cheap network switch or something, so that you can share it without disrupting them to much.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.