iBook/iPod or PB and wait on iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by buckuxc, Dec 7, 2003.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    hey all,

I think I'm finally in the market to pick up a Mac laptop, but I really want to get my hands on an iPod as well, a 40GB b/c I have so much music already and I plan on ripping the rest of my CD collection. I have an upfront budget to stay within, though (approx. between $2000 and $2100). The Powerbook config that I put together, 15" 1.25GHz 512MB RAM (which I will definitely want to upgrade as times passes) 60GB airport extreme CDRW/DVD, etc. totals at $2080 or so. The iBook config, 14" 1Ghz 384MB CDRW/DVD airport extreme [no backlit keyboard option :mad: ] w/ a 40GB iPod is just a little over $2000.

I'm a student, so use my computer for email, word processing, listening to and "acquiring" music, etc. I also enjoy using photoshop and much of the time I try to run as many programs as my current (Windows) computer can handle without it going on strike. I wouldn't mind playing with video editing one of these days, but I don't really do it right now.

Should I go for the PB now and hold off on the iPod (that's if I can even put together the $470 for it) or is the iBook good enough in caliber now that it can handle all of that? Should I really keep future ability that much in mind considering the advancement towards 64-bit computing coming shortly enough (like in the next 2-3 years, right?)?

2. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I love my Powerbook and PBs in general.. so I'd say go for the PB if possible. You'll love the extra power for things like photoshop and the beautiful and large screen.

The 14" iBook has the same resolution as the 12" (1024x768) so there isn't more room for programs.. they just appear larger. So if you go for the iBook just get the 12" unless you really need the larger appearance.

As for the iPod, I really like mine (even though I broke the budget for it). However, I do not use it as nearly as often as I should. Now that I have an iTrip its a daily traveler in the car... but still..

My advice is to get the PB and wait on the iPod... save some more money and then get the iPod when you can afford it.
  3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    First of all, you should always get the best machine you can afford. Secondly, the PB is so nice. Don't get me wrong, iBooks are great too, but PB's exude professionalism and quality. They are just a step above iBooks. Also, from the sounds of what you want to do, I think a PB would better fit that bill. Why not get the 12" PB. I have one, and I think it's fabulous. Either way, get the iPod later and get the best computer you can afford.
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    wait, let's establish up front: buckuxc, are you interested in a 12" laptop, or is that too small? Because the two comments so far have suggested 12"ers, but you said nothing about that size, so I'm wondering if such comments are helpful to you.
  5. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    12": not really

I don't think a 12" is where I want to go, particularly because I won't have an external monitor to play around with and I do use photoshop often enough; from what I hear, the 12" lacks in this arena.

Also of importance to note is that this move will be from a Pentium 3 667MHz PC desktop to a laptop which will become my only computer. I don't plan on having both right now. I'd shy away from the 12" PB simply because it's not as powerful (no gigabyte ethernet, no firewire 800, less GHz, etc.).
  6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    The 12" PowerBook is more powerful than the iBook. Secondly it is the same screen res.

If you want bigger pixels, go for the 14" iBook, but you'll get the same screen real estate as the 12" iBook/PB (1024x768). I find that this resolution isn't a problem, even for Final Cut Express and Photoshop (Elements) but you may like the extra screen space that the 15" has. You could always remove the Superdrive from the 15" 1.25 GHz to save some cash (BTO), as you can't get this on the iBook anyway.

However, coming from a 667 P3, even the iBook will be a massive step up in performance, provided you shove some RAM in the thing (go for non-Apple RAM as it is way cheaper - such as crucial.com).
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    do you *need* gigabit ethernet? fw 800?

those two are very niche market stuff. if you were using P3 667 fine, i don't really understand why you'd need those - except to have the latest and the greatest, i guess. i wouldn't let those influence your decision too much... i'd think PCI port and straight DVI out would be more important.

the speed won't be as big of an issue as the screen size. if 12" screen is not acceptable to you, then your choice is either the 14" iBook or a 15" PB. if 1024x768 is not acceptable to you, then your choice is 15" or 17" PB.
  8. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    Re: iBook/iPod or PB and wait on iPod?

First off, realize that they're going to ass rape you with 150 dollars in taxes. Clearly putting you over your 2100 budget when in consideration with the Powerbook.

In my opinion save more, you can't get what you want now and trying to get buy on shotty hardware and pushing it to the limits will only drive you away. Get an iPod now, wait until the computer becomes more of a feasible idea. That is of course if you have a computer with USB 2.0 or firewire.

Unless you plan on storing large files on the iPod stay away from the 40 GB. I have the original 5GB. Kinda small right? Well, I also have 80 entire albums (160 bps AAC). Yesterday was the first day I've ever deleted something to put something else on.

Overall you're not being a smart person about this. Your budget clearly doesn't allow for what you want and throwing it together on a shoestring budget is just stupid.

Being a extremely poor college student like yourself here is what I'd do. Go to eBay, get a used 20 GB iPod. They can be had for about 300 now.

The 14 iBook is really your only computer option. My education price is listed at 1400 for the ghz. Take into account tax. (7 percent where i am from). And your total is 1800. 300 left over.