iBook is flaky!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacMan22, Feb 15, 2007.

1. MacMan22 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    8 months ago my daughter's 800mhz G4 iBook had the logic board changed out . They also replaced the HD which only lasted 3 months. They replaced that one and it failed about a month ago. I replaced it myself with a brand new one and everything seemed ok but the thing is now freezing randomly and when I restart I sometimes get the flashing ? which will go away after restarting. Any ideas? Is it beyond hope? Thanks.

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

The number one killer of hard drives, especially in portable devices, is abuse. Sounds like your daughter is pretty hard on her computer, to me.

3. kill-your-tv macrumors member

"Head and Shoulders" works well for my flakes. JK. Replace the hard drive and go from there.

4. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

MB are really nice. Your daughter would really like one!

S+TS

5. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

At the very least, if she keeps killing hard drives in a Macbook, they're easier to replace.

6. MacMan22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never even gave the laptop back to her. I wanted to make sure her iBook was fine before she used it. I was hoping someone might have info about what else might be causing this. The drive I put in is brand new. Could it be the logic board again?

7. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Logic board...I would be willing to put money on it.

Late model G3s and the early G4s have faulty logic boards. What you are describing is nearly identical to some of the issues I had when one of the 4 logic boards I had started going out.

8. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I've also had to replace the cable for the HD/CDROM in by iBook before. It's a long shot, but it's way cheaper than replacing a logic board.

Have you run the hardware test? Are you able to reload OSX? These are two things you should try before cracking it open again.

9. MacMan22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. It just started up fine. I ran hardware test and everything checked out ok. Then I restarted it and got the flashing ?. I tried about ten restarts and once got stuck at the gray apple screen. I will switch out the hd cable soon and report back my results. Thanks again!