iBook is only 12" on the market.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My dad has been asking for a 12" notebook and when I began looking around for him I realized something. Apple is the only major computer manufacturer that offers a 12" notebook. Most companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, and Sony don't offer anything smaller than 14". The one exception is Sony who makes a 10" notebook that doesn't really count. I'm sure he wouldn't mind an Apple but he's Windows centric. Do you know of any 12" notebooks?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ibm's x series has a 12" screen, but that's an ultraportable so i guess it's not really in the same category.
    i think several tablet pc's have 12" screns but those aren't really notebooks lol
    also the toshiba portege r100 has a 12" screen, but also an ultraportable. dedicated graphics though
    the fujitsu lifebook t4000, yet another ultraportable, has a 12" screen and is a convertible tablet pc.
    the alienware sentia has a 12" screen but it's a widescreen (i dont know if that matters)
    the panasonic toughbook elite has a 12" screen
    most of those are MUCH more expensive than even a 12" powerbook, so it seems like if he needs a 12" screen it'd be best to go with an apple

3. khammack macrumors regular

I'll second the IBM X series thinkpads. I have an X20, and it has an "ultrabase", which is basically makes the notebook a half inch thicker and includes an optical drive, floppy, and a few extra ports. This way you can use it as an ultraportable when you want to, or have something that's roughly as thick as a regular laptop and has the extra functionality.

Of course I'm still saving up for a powerbook. But I really love this thinkpad. I'm actually going to miss it quite a bit; it has a great screen, it's very lightweight, and I much prefer the e-nipple pencil eraser style mouse in the middle of the keyboard to those damnable trackpads.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :)

-kev

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sony has a new T-series VAIO laptop that's 10.6" (not 12), but it includes a built-in DVD burner and it weighs about 3 lbs. For a Win laptop, this thing looks sweeeeet. :) But it's also mad expensive -- about $2300. :( Definitely no 12" iBook, or even a 12" PB with a superdrive. But it does weigh a third less, OTOH.... ;)

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Dell has the 700m ...12.1" widescreen. It's a really nice Windoze machine.

7. nels0360 macrumors member

It is a very nice Windows machine, but the keyboard sucks. The . key is tiny and difficult to hit while touch typing.

8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

To be honest i think the iBook beats them all, if you father wants a windows laptop then i would say the Sony Vaio is the best pick.

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Sony also manufactures a 13.1 inch screen notebook called the VGN-S260. Although the screen is a bit bigger than your requirements, the form factor is really no bigger than any of the 12 inch screen units here.

Also, just to be sure, there's always the 12 inch powerbook. Value be damned :D

10. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

My mum has the Toshiba Portege. It's very small, very nice, but no internal optical drive - but it is pretty tiny, and very, very light.

Nice laptop!

11. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I didn't consider IBM because I thought they were out of the PC market.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah they are, they sold their PC division to Lenovo.

13. Jsmit macrumors regular

Thay are in the process of selling it... the sale is not finalized. They still sell PCs.