iBook+iTunes+Rapidly decreasing disk space

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jhomayne, Feb 1, 2005.

1. jhomayne macrumors regular

OK. So I got my 12" iBook in July for University and since then I've done a very good job of filling it up with music.

Now my itunes library is 19.12gb, not much to some, but quite a lot when the hard disk is only 60gb.

I'm guessing that my only option is to get an external drive, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations?

I'm an impoverished student so cost would be the main thing. Portability is not really an issue as I have my shiny new iPod shuffle to tide me over if i'm away from my iBook.

Does anyone have any experience with using an external drive for their music with success? I don't want horror stories! :rolleyes:

cheers for any help. :)

2. gallivant macrumors member

I'm using a Maxtor 80 gig drive right now with my Dell (saving up for a PowerBook, don't lynch me!) - works perfectly fine. When I do get my PB, I'll just plug in the drive, point iTunes at its Music folder, and rock out.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I got the same problem, 60 GB disk on my iBook and an iTunes library which has grown to 32,09 GB... however, I have tried solving it in a slightly different way: By throwing out everything I don't really need, and turning off File Vault (which ate like 3 to 4 GB :eek: of the capacity...)

I guess you should have no problem moving the library to an external drive and changing default location of the iTunes library to that disk in iTunes preferences. You will get a problem when that disk is off/unplugged (and could mess things up if trying to import anything without that disk - at least if you, like me, has checked the option that tells iTunes to keep all things organized...)

I think the best option is to get a medium sized 3.5" IDE HD (around 160 GB will give the most for your money) and an USB2 or Firewire enclosure for it (the combo enclosures that support both USB and FW are more expencive).

I recommend the 160 GB Seagate Barracuda disk, fast (specially if you get the one with 8 MB cache), quiet and overall solid disks with, maybe, a Zynet enclosure (they're pretty cheap here in Norway) or another suitable one...

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Maybe consider moving all your other data off your internal drive instead of your music? Perhaps then you can keep your entire music on your iBook so you dont always need the external drive on and retain portability.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just wondering, how are you encoding your music?

6. jhomayne thread starter macrumors regular

well.. i started out (being the scared switcher that i was :rolleyes: ) using 160kbps MP3s but now i'm importing anything new as 128kbps AACs.

and i'm re-ripping the old stuff as and when i can. ;)

would this one do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...118/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-9434071-0636412

it only says PC compatability in the tech specs but then again i'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to getting inside a computer!

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That was the disk I was thinking about, yes... but can't you get it cheaper anywhere... I can get it for about NOK750 (≈ £62) here in Norway, where EVERYTHING's expensive, so £80 seems a bit too much...

I'm also about halfway through my CD-collection, re-ripping from mp3@128/160/192 to aac@128... so much better for the iPod mini battery life, my ears and the hard drive space... :)

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo