iBook keyboard Enter Key going out

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 24, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

My 3 month old iBook's keyboard enter key is going out, you have to press on it very firmly to get it to work. I dunno what's wrong with it, any suggestions? is this covered by AppleCare? I don't want my iBook to go bad!

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Hmm...

The first thing to check would be to look for anything blocking the key from going down. A piece of food or the like. If you want to take the key off.. and then press the white button down yourself.. see if that works. If it doesn't then it's time to take it to an Apple store. Go to the genius bar and just explain what happened. Might be something really simple, might be time for a new keyboard (which I hope it isn't for your sake).

You said that it's only 3 months old however, so tell them that you just bought it and 'won't pay for a hardware problem on a computer that new'. I had to do the same for a broken plastic tab under my shift key. They wanted to make me buy a whole new keyboard. I don't think sooooo.

3. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

if you have applecare, its covered. If you don't, i don't know how far that 1 yr warranty goes. Most likely they will just send you a new keyboard to install yourself. Apple did that when my iBook keyboard stopped being responsive.

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Ive had this problem recently with my F1 key my ibook was bought in september, so its 4 months old. But when I called apple I was told that I needed to pay 49$ as a one time fee for not having applecare and the 90-day phone support over. Another option I had was to take it to an apple store so I didint pay the 49$.
    Being really annoyed and not being able to go to an apple store for another week I decided to see what was wrong myself. I took off my F1 key and separated the membrane switch thing and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and it seams that my F1 key now works. So you might want to try that.
    I guess that just shows how valuable applecare is, so I will be purchasing it before my warranty expires.

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well my new keyboard should be here within this week. Good ole Apple. I love them so much. I told them what was wrong, they had me do some things and found that they're sending me a new keyboard you guys.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Good ole iBooks and their user installable in 5 seconds keyboards! :D