iBook Keys Scratching Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevietheb, Mar 19, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2004
    Has anyone else experienced this? I carry the iBook inside of a neoprene slip case inside my backpack while I'm at school. I've just noticed this week that the keys appear to have scratched my screen (the lines on my screen are definitely from the raised edges of the keys).

1) What can I do to stop this?

2) Is this a manufacturer defect? I feel like I'm entitled to a new screen, I've only had the iBook for about 2 months.

Thanks in advance!
  2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2002
    Columbia, MO

My TiBook does the same thing. It isn't scratches, but actually dirt and grease.

Just get yourself a good cleaning solution (i.e. iKlear) and wipe down your screen
    and your keys.

I don't personally put anything inbetween when I close it and travel, but there
    are such items for sale out there.

Alternatively, grab a piece of computer paper and put in there.

3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    1) Use a piece of cloth or foam between the screen and keyboard. There was a bit of foamy stuff there when you got the ibook. I use a special screen cleaning cloth link

2) If it's a defect then nearly every ibook and powerbook Apple's made do the same. The marks do come off...at least mine did with the above cloth.
  4. belf8st macrumors member

Feb 10, 2004

There are many products similar to these. I've used one for my powerbook. I had read that there many complaints in the past about the keyboards scratching the screens.
  5. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    I would be cautious about iKlear, since I've heard some bad things about it. Just a couple months ago, there was a thread about it. Try searching.

This has been a problem with notebook computers for a long time. A simple solution is to put a cloth or a piece of paper between the keyboard and the screen when you close it.
  6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I've kept the little foam piece that came with the iBook in between my screen and keyboard (almost) every time I've closed the lid. Not anything at all noticable on the screen at all. And it's an incredibly cheap option (free!).
  7. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I have a Marware for my Tibook. Because paper is soooo last millenium.

My aunt has an old 12" Sony that has key imprints on the screen. I assume it's because of the thinness of the laptops. I'm sure those 2"+ thick laptops don't have this problem. ;P