iBook LCD exchange

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacMosher, Apr 30, 2006.

1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Hi Guys,
    I'm mid way through a deal in selling my iBook G3 12" LCD, and I(and the buyer of course) want to make sure that this LCD will be compatable with the G4 iBook.

I was almost positive it was however I knew that you guys would be the people to ask. As well will the bezel be a different colour that the G4(not that it particularly matters just out of interest).

Finally, I would like to include some instructions for replacing the LCD with the sale, would the best place to get these be iFixit? If you have any other suggestions Im willing to hear them.

Thanks for all your help
    Mark

2. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Come on, pretty simple question Im sure somone knows.

Is it compatible a G3 ibook LCD in G4 ibook

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

If you are asking about just the LCD then yes a G3 is compatible with a G4. the rest however is iffy like the assembly kit i doubt that is compatible with both.

This is according to what i am reading on ifixit.com

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

As far as I know, the screen is perfectly capable of going in either, but the process is a bit trickier than if just using the "appropriate" screen. If you are already considering parting the laptop up anyway, then you're probably pretty comfortable with the internals of computers, and should be fine doing it.

5. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Ok, well its not really me doing it, Im selling it and want to make sure that the person whos getting it can make it compatable? So it is but not as easy as if it was just a G4 screen?

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Do you homework at iFixit.com formerly PBfixIt.com.
    Look up both models in the parts section and see if they are compatible.
    It may take a little work.

If not, sell it with a guarantee of returning funds (with a restocking and shipping fees to cover your expenses) if it is not compatible. It is really their duty to make sure it is compatible, but I like where your coming from.

In Apple's history they have had identical models with different parts suppliers. So the screens look identical, but connector cables were slightly different. This was the case with the clamshells and I would

By the way simply bumping a thread back up is ok, but throwing out text like "Come on, pretty simple question I[’m] sure som[e]one knows." is a little rude. When yout are getting free help for your fiscal gain, it's better to be courteous.

Kudos to you for working with the buyer. There are less scrupulous people out there.

Cheers.

7. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have looked into iFixit but thats whats confusing to me. They sell a model of LCD thats compatible with both, but I see mine with a bezel attached is said to be just for the G3, but I guess the question is can it be made to work with the G4?

example of one that works with both, with different connection:
    http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=916&cat=&page=1
    example of one that looks like mine:
    http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=339&cat=&page=1

Mark

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If you remove the screen from the bezel does it have the same short connector?

9. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Im going to have to look into it, but I think you might be on to somthing (p.s. Im not to bright for not thinking of this before ahah )

10. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Are there any instructions for taking it off the bezel of is it just suppose to come right off with a tug of the connection. Just trying to be cautious I mean I am selling it :p

11. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMosher

OK, I have a verdict. Incase anyone looks into doing this in the future. I believe it will work (99% sure, but well find out once I sell it). I've removed the bezel and it looks exactly like the connection used for both LCDs to plug into the inverter.

The only thing left to do is remove the tray and video cable on the back where he can then plug in his current connections.

Thanks for all your help, it's very much appreciated. This site really helped me get a grasp on exactly what I was doing so hopefully it might help somone else out in the future : http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,apple.shtml
    Thanks,
    Mark

12. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat