iBook Logic Board Repair & 700Mhz?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jaw04005, Sep 20, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I just sent my 600Mhz iBook back to Apple because the logic board has failed. This makes the second time. The rep on the phone warned that the depot was running low on stock of the new logic boards and that it could take up to 21 days to get my iBook fixed.

Well, I sent it off last Thursday and got it back today. Talk about turn around, and Apple upgraded me to a 700Mhz G3 and Mac OS 10.3! Anyone else experience this? I was very shocked.

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Sure its your computer??

3. sgarringer macrumors regular

Well I'm assuming you actually got someone elses iBook back, although quite rare this isnt impossible.

Although the question is -- since you dont hold a license for 10.3, and Apple themselves installed it, are you engaging in Piracy? I'd assume so, but its hard to tell.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I sent my dual USB 500 Mhz G3 iBook in after two times, but they replaced it with an 800 Mhz G4. However, this was prearranged.

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well it appears, that all iBooks sent in without Panther installed, automatically get a Panther upgraded along with new system disks because the "new" logic board is not supported under Jaguar.

Its my computer, it has my scratches and my dead battery. I called Apple just to be "honest" and they said that the depot did not have any 600Mhz in stock, but had plenty of 700Mhz----so they just used a 700Mhz. Go figure, I'm thankful, its not THAT big of a difference, but its nice to be taken care of!

Josh

6. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I agree..It is very nice to be taken care of. Im on my third Logic Board and as long as they keep dying i hope Apple keeps replacing them.

But i have an 800MHz model so its gonna be a while before i see any performance bumps due to logic board replacement. Whatever, it beats paying $1000 for a new logic board every 6 months.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have seen this happen quite often, I don't think the customer will complain about a faster mac after repair. Except Apple does have the nasty time to erase your HD, so back up your data before sending a computer in.

8. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

they replaced my hard drive, upper casing, and installed 10.3 for me

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Let's hope they run out of all the G3 boards so next time mine dies I get a G4 instead.... ;)

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'm still trying to get mine to fail again, it's failer twice before.

the logic baord they gave me overclocks via software to 750MHz from 600 which is nice before it only went to 650 and at 700MHz it kernel paniced allot.

next time it fails i'm demanding a g4 ibook, i'll sell that sealed up and get a nice new powerbook :D