iBook Logic Board

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CyberB0b, Jul 6, 2005.

1. CyberB0b macrumors regular

CyberB0b

Just got back from the 4th of July weekend with the parents. Got them a new monitor and used the old monitor plus a keyboard and mouse to turn my dad's old 12" iBook from May 2001 with a 5 minute battery into a workstation. First words out of his mouth, "oh good, the screen has started flickering again." Yearrrrgh. So I plug in the monitor and the screen has a strong purple tint. Jiggled the cable and it looked normal for a few minutes, then purple again.

The logic board already went through this painful death spiral once and had the logic board replaced last year. So, back I go to check on the logic board replacement program and it says it expired March 2005 or 3 years from purchase.

So I don't qualify. Anyone get a replacement after the deadline passed? How much will a logic board replacement cost me?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would really consider getting a new iBook. That one's had a good life. I don't know the exact cost, but I doubt it's worth it to replace a logic board on a 4 year old iBook.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

An iBook in the family has just had its Logic Board break down, since its past the deadline for the replacement program it will cost around £500 to sort out

As suggested it might be an idea to get a newer G4 iBook

Thats what we have done, the thing is likely to break again and £500 might as well be put towards a new machine

4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Well with new iBooks coming soon, I guess it is time to upgrade and if your a student get a free 4GB iPod Mini as well which could be sold on Ebay to help pay for getting the new iBook.

5. CyberB0b thread starter macrumors regular

CyberB0b

yes yes, 4 years old, I know. I just graduated last year so the discount is gone. I just hoped the computer would last 5 years, that's all.

I noticed a few logic boards on ebay. I've put together all my non-mac (which happen to be non-laptop) computers myself, how hard can an iBook be?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A pain. If you want to do it, search the threads here. There are some that can help you with that. But seriously, I wouldn't want to do it.