Ibook making squeeking noises

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kaltsasa, Mar 15, 2002.

1. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I'm on An ibook 500 and it is making random squeeking noises. Like a rubber duck. Any ideas what is going on?

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Does it happen when you close a file or a window or anything like that?
    Does it happen any other way? Im assuming thats the default sound option you have on there. You just simply need to go to sounds and adjust it to a sound of your choose if thats the case. Dont worry i dont think you need any WD 40.:)

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Actually it's a little known fact that Apple has been shipping all of their iBooks with miniature rubber ducks inside. It's some sort of Sesame Street promotional gimmick. Ignore it, and resist the temptation to take a bath with your iBook.

-Pete

4. kaltsasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trust me this has me stumped(i work at a high school and i've seen everything from those extensions that make every 15 letters type a wrong letter to a pice of ham stuck in a cd drive....must have been hungary lol), its running mac os x, 256 megs ram....I've looked at all the standard options(this sound isnt even in the system sounds) And I don't think its application specific tho its done it 3 times when using msn messenger, but the sound is not in messenger either.........So no one else has had this problem? hmmmm

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

From where in the iBook does the sound originate? I have a PowerBook which emits a constant faint buzzing noise from an area which seems like it's slightly to the right of the CPU. It's definitely not coming from the modem or the speakers, but it's strange, because I can't see any apparent sound-emitting thingy on the motherboard. Sometimes it pauses as I hold the mouse button down... Hrm. I just thought maybe it was related to your iBook's rubber-ducky noise.

Alex

6. kaltsasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a genuine sound coming from the speakers....at first i thought it was the hd makin weired nosies, or i was going crazy but then more people heard it.

7. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what?!!!:eek:

I have no idea. Thats new too me.
    Maybe you do need some type of digital WD40?

8. kaltsasa thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm at work right now so i cant say if its doing it any more but if it does i will post imeediadly......lol prolly some silly virius.....tho we do have nortons

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

A few questions I have:

- Does the sound happen in OS 9 as well?
    - Does the sound play only while other sounds are playing?
    - Does the sound play while a CD is being played (from a drive that supports digital audio transfer)?
    - Does the sound happen only while the hard disk or CD-ROM is being accessed?

This is very weird indeed. My only hunch based upon the above questions is that something else in the system is sharing the sound chip's DMA channel, which might cause these squeaking noises you describe. I once had a PC with a sound card that had bad Linux drivers and the sound card would emit chirps whenever I accessed an IDE hard drive because the drive shared a DMA channel with the sound card. The thing is, though, this sound card was an ISA card, and the chip inside the iBook is on the PCI bus. And I'm under the impression that DMA conflicts are rare on PCI. (And I don't know Mac hardware very well, maybe Macs don't even use DMA in the same way... oh well, this post may have been totally useless. Sorry.) :)

Alex

10. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

One way of fixing it...

Dip it in 3-in-1 oil; I'm afraid your iBook will be screwed, but at least you'll get rid of the squeek...:D