iBook May 2003 - Overclockable?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by baud, Aug 23, 2003.

1. baud macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2003
    I have been reading about iBook 2002 (600-700MHz) owners overclocking their machines via software. My 800MHz iBook from May of this year also sports the IBM 750FX G3, albeit v2.3.

Has anyone tried overclocking this version via software? I'm not prepared to solder resistors etc., as I'm a student and as such received a 3 year warranty with it.

I suspect it should be overclockable to at least 900, and probably 1GHz.

Also, anyone know how to up the bus speed from 100 to 133MHz or something?

I'd have posted this on xlr8yourmac, but they aren't accepting new users for some reason.

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i really never got into overclocking. i guess i felt the extra juice wasnt worth it for the risk. anyways, i hope you find out your answer, i wouldb e curious to know as well for my own benifit.

3. baud thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2003
    I have a sneaking suspicion that newer models are only overclockable via resistors (PLL settings, I think they're called).

Nevertheless, I'd love to know if someone has successfully overclocked a May 2003 iBook to 1 GHz!
  4. frescies macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

Google it.... It's been done. You'll find it. I don't want to feel responsible for you destroying your ibook though, so I'll stop.