Ibook memory/superdrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xisforextreme, Jul 26, 2005.

1. xisforextreme macrumors member

xisforextreme

need help here! I have a fixed budget for my new ibook ( :D ) and I was wondering what people think would be more effective/useful. There are two choices I'm faced with;
    1. Ibook with Superdrive (standard ram)
    2. Ibook with 1 gig RAm and combo drive

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Buy the Superdrive model and then purchase a 1 Gb RAM module from a reputable third party reseller who guarantees compatibility with the iBook.

3. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

neither. Buy an external burner and buy 3rd party ram.

4. xisforextreme thread starter macrumors member

xisforextreme

i looked in crucial, but they don't list the new ibooks. All they have is memory for the 1.33 ghz, which im worried wont be as compatible with the new 1.42 ghz processor and fsb. As in it wont be as fast as the memory apple is offering

5. clarinettie macrumors newbie

What would you use your superdrive for? If you're a student, there are probably DVD burners available in labs or in the library. I'd go with the extra RAM, as I'm a student and don't really need to burn DVDs.

6. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

touche! I think the OP should use the original money he has saved for the super drive to up his HD to 80 gigs and buy a third party ram stick.