iBook Mice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deltrotter, Dec 4, 2004.

1. deltrotter macrumors regular

Hi

iBook 12" on the way to me. Currently in Luxembourg.

Anyway, I'm looking for a USB optical mouse (2 button and scroll wheel) that will match the iBook colour and I seem to have narrowed it down to Macally and Macmice.

I quite like the Macmice one, but noted that it "only" had a 24" cable. Bearing in mind that the USB ports are on the left-hand side of the iBook and I am right handed, will that cable in effect be too short?

Either way, any opinions on which I should go for?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Del

2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

That's about how long the normal apple mice cords are, and yes, I do find it too be too short. I use a 14" rather than 12", but I dont think it will make much difference. Remember, you going to have to wrap that cord around the back of the laptop.

but if you're questioning, get yourself some string, measure it out and see if it will work for you.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yep. Definitely too short. I have a 14 inch iBook and a 24-inch cable does not reach around. You can either get a USB extender or hunt for a mouse with a longer cable.

4. Jsmit macrumors regular

I just plugged an old Apple Mouse (cable lenght of about 22 inchs by my measirement) into my 12 inch PB and it felt long enough to me. The current Apple muse has a cable of about 38 inches by my measurements. I find hte cord of the current Apple Mouse a little long for my tastes, on my machines.

[Edit: The idea with the string is a good one, just keep in mind that a mouse cord will be thicker and less flexible than most strings.]

5. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

I use the Macally iOptinet, basically the clear version of the iceMouse. It has served me quite well and lasted over a year so far. It has a 3' foot cord, and with my 14" iBook, I don't think that I would consider going much shorter than that.

6. Preacher85 macrumors member

Preacher85

The Mouse BT

If your iBook is coming with Bluetooth installed, I would recommend The Mouse BT from Macmice. I use one with my 14" iBook, and it works wonderfully. Never had a problem with it.

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

I have one of them white Microsoft mice... :rolleyes: It's great for what I use it for and it is cheap.

8. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice everyone - very helpful.

I think the iceMouse is in the lead at the moment.

Cheers

Del

9. SuhasG macrumors newbie

I have Contour Design's MiniPro for my iBook

Yhis one is USb with 2 buttons but no scroll wheel. Cord length around 2.5" and sufficient for 12" iBook.

Mouse is very small, its body color and material matches exactly to white iBook, to such an extent that it appears that Apple had made it specially for iBook.

Mouse very good, attractive. price is $29.

I am quite happy about it.

SuhasG

10. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular