iBook . . . mix and match!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nhcowboy1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Okay, here's the situation . . . my son has an an iBook with a 1.33 mHz processor, 80 gb HD, and only half a gb of ram. Needless to say, things are dragging.

I've got a pristine 1.42 mHz iBook with 1.5 gb ram and a 60 gb HD. I'd like to mix-and-match the two to give my son a faster machine while he's waiting to buy a new MBP.

I can switch the 80 gb HD over to the 1.42 . . . but I'm thinking it'd be easier, and almost as effective, to just switch the ram from the 1.42 to the 1.33. (And, that way, the 1.42 stays in pristine condition!)

So, my question is . . . how much would my son benefit from the increase in processor speed? He's not using this for games - just homework, surfing the internet and downloading movies. If the difference is negligible, I'll just switch over the RAM and be done with it. Goodness knows, that's the quickest solution!

Your thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

if your experienced with such things you should switch the hdd's, 60gb dosen't go far these days, until a couple of months ago i had a ibook g3 with a 60gb hdd it normally ran with 500mb - 2gb hdd space, personally i would switch the hdd's.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, except that all he's using right now is about 20 gb. And all we're talking about is a short-term fix. He should be upgrading to a newer MBP within the next month or two.

4. macrumors 6502a

well if he is going to be upgrading to a mbp soon i would agree that it is best just to switch the ram then

5. macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Why don't you just swap computers with him for a month? If you're taking your HD out, it's easier to just swap iBooks.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

RAM switched. Dramatic improvement in performance! (And my 1.42 gets to avoid having crumbs and crap spilled all over it!)

7. macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

yeah that extra bit of cpu speed is negligible. Good job! :D

8. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

1.33ghz / 1.42ghz. Just saying.