Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
San Francisco
I have a 12" iBook and every so often my screen gets darker than usual (not sleep mode), and it will stay like that for a long time, sometimes hours, and then go back to normal. I move it to the brightest setting when this happens and it still is very dark and difficult to see. Does anyone know why this is happening? I hope it doesn't mean my screen is going. This has been happening for a while now, at least a few months.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: iBook Monitor Keeps Dimming

Originally posted by michelle
I have a 12" iBook and every so often my screen gets darker than usual (not sleep mode), and it will stay like that for a long time, sometimes hours, and then go back to normal. I move it to the brightest setting when this happens and it still is very dark and difficult to see. Does anyone know why this is happening? I hope it doesn't mean my screen is going. This has been happening for a while now, at least a few months.
I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but normally, if there's no activity, the screen will dim. If you move the mouse or hit a key, the screen will brighten.

This is normal. And it may or may not be what you're describing.

michelle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
San Francisco
Thanks for the reply, but this is something different, it's not the energy saver. No matter what I do, it doesn't get lighter-I just have to wait until it does it on its own.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Your best bet would be to call Apple and have them start a repair ticket. They'll run you through a few checks to see if that fixes things, but it sounds like something that happens intermittently. That could be a problem since they may not be able to duplicate the problem.

In the end, if they do feel it's a warranty issue, they'll send you a box for you to pack your iBook in. Then you can send it in for them to repair. This only applies if you're still under warranty or Applecare.

Just for the record. I don't think I've ever heard of this problem for the iBooks. Maybe you have a rare problem that they may not be able to easily fix. You might get a new Mac out of the deal ... maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.