iBook not booting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rockandrule, Aug 26, 2006.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I just moved back up to Jacksonville with my friend and now his iBook G4 is not booting. It goes to the white Apple screen and spins for about twice as long as normal, and then goes to a black screen with just a type-cursor in the top left hand corner which erases any text submitted. Now, from there I went ahead and booted from the Tiger Install disk and ran permission repair and also disk repair, without any glitches. Also, we then booted again and ran a hardware diagnostic and it turned up absolutely no problems with the computer. Any ideas? Luckily, he's still under his first year of AppleCare (and he's about to purchase an extension since you can now get it in Florida legally) and he should be covered.

2. rockandrule thread starter macrumors 6502

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Sounds like an iffy hard drive. They do fail. Call Apple.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

5. rockandrule thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, we went ahead and did an archive and install and now it's working but with a bit of a slow. We're going to go up to the Apple Store across the street today to get him the extended plan, and we'll call Apple on Monday when they're open. I really think the HDD is about to go.