Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdonald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
I have a white dual usb ibook (700mhz combo drive etc) and it will not boot up into the OS.

It gets to a screen with a flashing question mark.

I have held ALT down to get to the boot choice screen and there is no HD sign. Obviously I need to re-install the OS, but I can't seem to boot from the CD-ROM, it wont eject, I have to use a paper clip.

I think therefore the drive is broken and have been quoted £638.81 to get the laptop looked at and drive replaced!!!!

This is ludicrous, so I was wondering if there is an external cd drive that is bootable? I know the Formac firewire one isnt... :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you hold the trackpad button while powering on the system, the CD drive should eject. Once you've put the OS X CD in, you should then be able to see the CD when you hold down Option. If not, then there's probably something wrong with the bus that the HD and CD plug in to. Both drives use the same cable, so if the cable is damaged then neither drive will work. Fortunately, a replacement cable should be relatively cheap.

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
If you can get access to another Mac with Firewire your job will be a lot easier. Simply turn on the iBook with the "T" key held down and plug it into the firewire port of the second Mac. The iBook HD will mount like an external HD, allowing you to repair disk permissions. If that doesn't work, a re-install might be necessary.

Macdonald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks for the feedback! :)

hold the trackpad button while powering on the system, the CD drive should eject

This didnt make the cd eject :(

you should then be able to see the CD when you hold down Option

No, as previously said this thing doesnt seem to be able to pickup that theres a bootable cd in the drive.

probably something wrong with the bus that the HD and CD plug in to

Interesting! Well I'm not sure how to get at that, the local place charges £65 to look at it, might be worth it...

get access to another Mac with Firewire

Dont have access to another mac unfortunately.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you're confident, and you have a Torx T8 screwdriver (if you're unsure then you probably don't!) then you can take a look yourself. Of course I don't recommend this if you're not comfortable with fiddling around inside your computer, because you'll probably void your warranty :(

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
You need to make a "Mac buddy" so you can at least get access 2 ur hard drive via a Firewire Port.

I have an iBook 700Mhz with a busted ComboDrive (my sister dropped it!). I found this place where I am thinking of getting it repaired at abt 200 USD instead of the 700 USD apple quoted me.

http://www.ibookparts.com/ibkdrv.htm

Good luck and Godspeed.

macboyX

Macdonald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
If you're confident, and you have a Torx T8 screwdriver (if you're unsure then you probably don't!) then you can take a look yourself.

I dont think I have a Torx bit that small :( anyway, arnt they allen key bolts not torx?

Thanks for the link, but I am doomed!! That place is in the US and I am in the UK.

Why on earth do apple charge so much for a drive anyway? If anything breaks on these laptops you might as well buy another one instead! :rolleyes:

What a rip off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.