iBook Now or later?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Miguey, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Miguey macrumors 6502

ok ive started a thread earlier about me getting an iBook earlier, but my mom just got her paycheck and she told me that we might be getting it this weekend...but the problem is the fact of the 32 mb graphics...i was wondering if they will hve another revision before intel(with 64) or should i just grab the one out now? i would love to have your opinion, as i can not wait another month to get an intel, and i do realize i will need to upgrade the hard drive...thoughts? should i get this weekend?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I really doubt there'll be another version before they go to Intel processors unless Apple tries to flog off old PowerBook G4 chips. I'd wait if possible but I have absolutely no idea when the iBooks (or MacBooks) will arrive. :eek:

3. drbrog macrumors member

I'd wait until this Spring when I suspect the ibooks- or Macbooks will be released. At the end of 2005, when no one knew when intelMacs would be released, I would not have had a problem buying a PPC Mac. However, since the first intelMacs have been released with likely availability of more intelMacs (and macbook/ibooks) soon, I'd be reluctant to buy an ibook now. I would feel like I bought a near obsolete computer.

4. Miguey thread starter macrumors 6502

oh ytea i forgot...i can not wait till Mid March as i am going to Mexico to visit family so i'll need one by then

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I dont think youll have too much choice then, Id doubt if wed see a iBook revision before intel. You could always look for a refurb 12" powerbook with 64mb of vram or just order a baseline 12" powerbook.

6. revfife macrumors regular

revfife

I say go for it. I mean the iBook in its current revision is a great machine. don't let the 32 vcard fool you. Its a new card and runs droplet just fine. Plus it runs all of the current software speedily. It is a great deal and will be good for the next 4 years. Whats not to like about the current ibook?

7. MacTT macrumors member

Depends on what you are gonna use it for. Entertainment or Work?

8. Miguey thread starter macrumors 6502

mediocre gaming, and whatever it comes with all that software..oh yea im itching to use widgets also...

9. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

is your visit to mexico rly that long to where you'll need to get a iBook G4 on the eve of the intel releases? The intel models i suspect will blow the G4 out of the water.

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

a good 12" ibook will serve you fine. I highly HIGHLY doubt they'd do anothe revision of the ibooks before the new intel ones. So just pick up a 12", or order it if you want a better HD, and enjoy it.

11. Miguey thread starter macrumors 6502

my mom doesnt wanna wait and she just gave me the oppertunity to get it this weekend plus, i need some time to get used to the OS, and i might as well plan ahead..im taking one extra week off before spring break to go there so we can spend more time over there...soo yea

edit: i am wondering if CompUSA does any upgrades inside the store? anyone know?

12. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

yeah that really sucks that she won't wait to spend money