iBook now or should I wait?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CraigWallace, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. CraigWallace macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #1
    ok I sold my pismo for 350$.I have a spare 500 I can spend and on ebay I can get a pretty good ibook for around this price.
    should I get it now,or wait until the intels come out?
    I can't decide!
    This compaq is driving me nuts...but it will do.
    ~Craig
     
  2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #2
    How ODD. I am also exactly in the same Boat. Sold my iBook G4 expecting the MacBooks. And the Compaq is driving me NUTS too.
     
  3. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #3
    So you have 850$ in total. I dont think you`ll get the MacBooks for that much. Not unless you can have Edu Discount.

    So assuming that either you can have the edu discount or you can increase your budget to atleast 1150$, I`ll advice you to wait for the MB. Otherwise you can buy the G4 iBook right now and enjoy it for the next couple of years saving yourself from this waiting FRUSTRATION. It definitely is killing me.

    BTW you are buying from ebay. So i assume you are getting a used one. In that case just make sure of one thing. And that is AppleCare. Dont buy a used mac which is out of waaranty. It`ll save you from a lot of hassle.

    I m definitely waiting for the MacBooks.
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4
    Personally, I would wait for a MacBook. But either way you go, a MacBook or iBook G4 would be a lot faster than the old Pismo you just sold. :)
     
  5. kugino macrumors 65816

    kugino

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2003
    #5
    i say wait for the MB...but i say that while posting via my 12" g4 ibook. i'm waiting for the MB and this will go to my wife (who's on the last legs of a 400MHz original Tibook).

    the MB will be faster, will be newer, will (most likely) have integrated isight and front row, and better graphics (even if it is integrated). try to scrape together about $200-300 and wait for the MB.
     
  6. nitynate macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2006
    Location:
    Clearwater, FL
    #6
    It may have isight, apple doesnt put nice things in >$1000 products. :rolleyes:
     
  7. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #7
    Wait. The prices of iBooks will go down when MacBooks are announced. Then you can decide which you want.
     
  8. 4JNA macrumors 68000

    4JNA

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    looking for trash files
    #8
    i think it depends on what you use it for. i have no use for dual boot on the road. internet, email, music, movies, office. all good on my ibook. i have used one of the new intel lap warmers.... nice, but my ibook is lighter, i can keep it on my lap without fear of starting my pants on fire, and with a newertech battery, my ibook kills the MBP on run time.

    plus you save money. and you can smash the compaq with something heavy. cool.

    having said that, i can't wait for a dual boot powermac to replace my dual G5 1.8 system with :rolleyes:
     
  9. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

    Macnoviz

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    Location:
    Roeselare, Belgium
    #9
    They did put an iSight in every Mac released after the iMac G5, exept for the mini, which isn't really in a good position for a nice headshot

    I think they will definitly put an iSight in, it's a good selling point and very elegant compared to a standard webcam or even built in PC webcams (ripp off!!)

    I am definitly waiting for the Macbook, because whatever they might say, new stuff won't come out for PPC in a matter of time (see boot camp)
     
  10. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

    BurtonCCC

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    #10
    Don't you mean <$1,000 products? I mean, I could be wrong, but the iMac and MBP's both are over $1,000 and have that little black square box that takes your picture. ;)

    Daniel.
     
  11. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

    BurtonCCC

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    #11
    As for the guy debating of whether to buy an iBook, the best advice is listed above: wait until the MacBook comes out so you'll see your options. The iBook's price will drop huge once it becomes so amazingly freaking out of date.

    Daniel.
     
  12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #12
    I almost second it. Almost. Coz this waitng game is really killing me. Now I seriosly think that I should`ve sold my iBook only after MB were launched. I might have got less than 70% after selling it than what I`ve got now. But that wud have been definitely worth it. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing your copmaq hang every now n then. And I do nothing but browsing on this computer. And that too not more than 4 tabs a time. Still it`s damn slow. Slow as hell.
    So I`ll still say that he can buy the iBook G4 as it wil be leaps n bounds compared to Pismo. Wait if you wish to. But be ready to get frustrated every time you hear MB next tuesday and nothing happens at all.
     
  13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #13
    One more thing in favorof iBook G4. No matter what, but MacBooks will still be a Rev A product. Now no one needs to tell you what happened to rev A MBP.
     
  14. CraigWallace thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #14
    hey everyone,thanks for all the replies!this compaq is ok...pentium 4,etc.
    but it is my grandparents...so no smashing:(
    the question:how long until the MB comes out?an estimated date??
     
  15. CraigWallace thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #15
    hey everyone,thanks for all the replies!this compaq is ok...pentium 4,etc.
    but it is my grandparents...so no smashing:(
    the question:how long until the MB comes out?an estimated date??
    how did i post this twice??
     
  16. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #16
    Until someone posts actual stats, I would suspect that the people who have problems with the "Rev A" MBP are the statistically (albeit vocal) few. I have one of the earliest MBPs (W860...) and i have no problems. I know three people who have MBPs and have no problems. Personally, I think it's irresponsible to "frighten" a person by playing the "Rev A" card.

    The infamous logic board problem occurred in later rev G3 iBooks. The infamous white spotting display problem occurred in the last Rev of Titanium Powerbooks.

    I haven't heard much on Rev A Intel iMacs or Rev A Intel Mac minis.

    Go for the new MacBook. Especially if they go for $999.
     
  17. RollTide macrumors 6502

    RollTide

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    Alabama
    #17
    I know this is a little off topic, but I am ready to get my first mac when the new macbooks come out, but I was worried about my internet. I have Bellsouth, and I was wondering will I still be able to use that on my macbook, or will I have difficulties getting it on there, or will safari or something else be ok, Appreciate it guys


    Oops, it will work....
     
  18. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #18
    Well, I know bout all this info you`ve provided. But still the fact remains that the chances of having troubles in a rev A is definitely more than later Revs. But my biggest problem is the Waiting for MB. No one knows when they`ll be launched. This wait is killing me. And it`s just been 15 days. I dont see a sign of MB shipping before July. So my point is that buying an iBook now will save this guy from all this hassle. He is definitely tight on budget. And I dont really see a 999$ MB. Atleast not with core duo and iSight. Steve might prove me wrong(I wish he does) but Considering the mac mini with core solo costs 599 and you`ll have to add a 13" screen and a battery with that. I seriously think the 999 MB(if there happens to be one) will be 1.5ghz Core Solo and most probably without iSight. I can live without inBuilt iSight but not with core solo. That wont offer a really big improvetment over the current G4 iBooks.

    So IMO going for a G4 iBook is better than waiting for MB. But still I m stupid enough to not listen to my own advice and will be waiting for the MB cursing myself and apple everyday until I get one.
     
  19. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #19
    I know they are gonna be released on Tuesday.

    But please dont ask which one. I dont have any idea. Neither does anyone else.
    And it seems that you too are waiting for the MB now. Just make sure you can increase your budget from the current 850 to atleast 1150.
     
  20. Cooknn macrumors 68020

    Cooknn

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Location:
    Fort Myers, FL
    #20
    Guess it won't be today :(
     
  21. kretzy macrumors 604

    kretzy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2004
    Location:
    Canberra, Australia
    #21
    I would wait. I just don't like the idea of buying something that has the possibility of being upgraded in such a large way soon.
     
  22. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #22
    One thing`s for sure. You`ll come to know bout the release at least a week ahead. Apple sends the invitee to it`s special events(keynotes) atleast 7-10 days before the event. So dont even think that it`s gonna be this tues or the next one if no such thing happens. 16th of MAy is a possibility. But I`ll put my money on 23of may. (please Steve. it`s killing me now)
     

Share This Page