ibook now, pbook next year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. rschapel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    #1
    Ok:
    I have been holding off on buying a powerbook till this summer, hoping and crossing fingers that the G5's will be out in them. But I have been getting impatient, and I have been having my doubts that we'll see the powerbook g5 update until 4Q 04 - 1Q 05. So I have been thinking, with Apple laptops holding their value as well as they do, I could get my self a nice little ibook (12 inch), add a little ram and the wireless card to hold me for about 10-11 months, then I could sell it. It seems that ibook's do hold their value great (for a computer), so I figure if I am spending around $1,200 on the computer, I could get 700-800 (maybe more?) out of it in 10 months. I wouldn't bother to pick up apple care for it, and if I sell it with-in 12 months, I can transfer the regular warranty, plus the new person could buy the applecare if they wanted.

    Another question is though, can the ibook do what I need in the meantime? The real reason I want to go with a powerbook over the ibook is the DVD burner, I really would like to make some video for the grandparents. But luckily we have some Macs at work that have the burner, so if I buy an ibook now, does it come with the iDVD, so I can build the DVD on my ibook and then transfer it at work (work is getting the ilife 04 update)? Also Would a ibook @ 800 be enough for doing this? I would also be capturing the video from a sony TRV-22. I mean if I have to go with a little beefer ibook.

    Also can iDVD/iMovie make VCD's ?

    Just a few more questions, I want to max my return value (VS original cost) on the ibook, which model/level do you think I should get? I figure I can save some money myself by upping the RAM to 640 myself (maybe I'll have apple do it, I dunno). This should also help my overall return costs. The built in network would be a must for me in any case. What about bluetooth? And I wouldn't mind having the bigger screen if it helps keep up that return on my investment. I just don't want to spend more than 1300-1500 with the education discount.


    Thanks for any advice!


    --Randy

    ps please excuse the double post, I posted a similar document over at macworld, but when I started reading this forum today I releaized the volume of more traffic these discussions see.
     
  2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

    abhishekit

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    Location:
    akron , ohio
    #2
    First. Yes Ibooks hold their value pretty well. And I think you can sell your maxed out ibook for 700-800 $ easily. By maxed out, I mean bluetooth(get it coz its cheap and the only chance of making it internal), Airport extreme, 640 ram, atleast 40 gb harddrive (anyways as you would be storing dvds you would need that, you can even go for even more if you think its necessary).
    Second, DONOT get the ram from apple. buy it from crucial.com, and save i guess around 100 bucks.
    14" ibook's resolution is the same as 12" one. So it ends up looking blurry.
    ibook wont come with idvd, but it comes with imovie which gives an option of burning dvd. But I think there might be slight problem as per the 'capability' is concerned. You may feel its too slow. I have an ibook and I use imovie a lot but its for fun. Just making avi files of friday night parties. And it does take a long time to export. And I mean really long.
    So that may be one reason you would like to go for bigger ibook as you get more clockspeed, but then as i said screen looks 'not so good'.
    But I have a suggestion. If you have the money now, why dont you get a 12" pb instead. If you take the edu discount , it would cost you about 350 bucks more than the ibook(because it has internal bluetooth). And then you can sell this PB for 350 more than what you would be getting on ibook. I am sure you would get that price.
    Hope it helps,
    cheers
     
  3. Foxer macrumors 65816

    Foxer

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    Or you can pick up a brand new G3 iBook from the Apple store for about $750 (edu). I jsut picked one up for my wife and it's pretty good. Certainly would work as a "hold-over" until the G5's come out.
     
  4. rschapel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    #4
    How well would the G3 fair VS. the new G4's in the ibooks?

    Also I really don't see us with more than one Mac laptop right now, and buying the "cheaper" Ibook, whoudl I still be able to get my money out of it when I goto sell it for the PowerBook G5? Or have those G3's already taken the "big" hit?

    --Randy
     
  5. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #5
    I would get the base level 800 MHz iBook, max out the Hard Disk and go for the bluetooth upgrade, even if you don't have anything at the moment that is Bluetooth, as there is a lot of momentum behind bluetooth at the moment. Get your additional RAM from crucial. iMovie / iDVD does not allow you to create VCD's, I suggest that you get a copy of Toast for that, which is useful for copying CD's anyway (for backup purposes of course).
     

Share This Page