iBook now vs. PB Spring dilemma for Uni - Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by raeingoth, Oct 19, 2004.

1. raeingoth macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2003
    Okay, I have been following what has been going on quite closely with updates in regards to the iBooks and Powerbooks. I am looking to buy one to use at college (currently in), and am now faced with the dilemma of buying the new updated 12" iBook or waiting for whatever major revision happens to the Powerbook in 2005. I was originally bent on just buying a Powerbook, but with the PB being postponed till next year I am reconsidering, especially with the boosts on the iBook side (and that I can't stand using on-campus computer labs that close at the most inconvenient times).

First of all, what disadvantages would I have going with one of the new 12" iBooks as opposed to a 12" PB (I am not interested in the SuperDrive, have an external)? I am not looking to do 3D or video work, but do quite a bit with graphics software (ie, Adobe CE). I'm not into gaming but movie watching is a big thing for me. I'm coming from a G4/500Mhz Sawtooth PowerMac that I sold off before I came to school.

Secondly, one of the things that's making me consider the iBook now is the idea of selling it on eBay once the Powerbook looks revved to be updated. Will I lose much of my investment that route? After all I was considering just renting a laptop till the new PBs come out, and I'm thinking I might save more money just reselling the iBook.

Any help and advice is MUCH appreciated! Thank you!
  2. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    Honestly sounds like you would be well off to get the iBook now. For what you mention, it should work fine for you.

I don't know how much you'd lose reselling. It's really hard to gauge, but Mac's typically have high resale values. I would guess you should expect to lose up to $200 when you sell.