iBook on a PC network

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Sep 23, 2002.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I have an iBook 500 (Dual USB) with 10.2 installed, and my school has an all-PC network, attached to a T3, which is shared with another school. I can connect to the internet with it (and boy is a T3 fast, especially after 3:30) when plugged in (ethernet - they aren't wireless yet), but I can't see the actual network so I can't access my folder on the PC network. I thought that Jaguar was supposed to have native Windows file browsing capabilities. If I am wrong, or I'm not doing something right, please tell me.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When in the Finder, select Go > Connect to Server, this should show all avalible workgroups/domains both Mac and PC, you can then simply either browse for you PC and relevent share or if you know the hostname of the machine that you want to connect to, and the name of the share, simply type in the address field smb://machinename/sharename

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

One other thing, it might also be an idea to put your mac in the same workgroup/domain as the rest of the machines at your school. Do this by...

Open up Directory Access - Application > Utilities
    Unlock it, select SMB then Configure, it should have automatically detected the workgroups/domain avalible on your network, just select the relevent one.

4. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Click here for a short tutorial!!

This link should tell you everything you need to know;) :D

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

That's an interesting tip...I'll have to try that one. Coming from a UNIX environment, I just added the workgroup to the Samba configuration file.

I really should take some time to play with all of those utilities, just to see what they do.

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Don't you need Network Administrator access to add a computer to a domain or workgroup??? I thought you did under Windows. Maybe not under Mac OS??

Taft

7. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Hmm..

I'll try the directory access stuff. The reason for the post in the first place was that the server wasn't showing up under Connect to Server. And thanks for that tutorial from Apple, xrhajj. I think that may be what I need. As far as I can tell, the workgroups are at least part of the issue.

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: Hmm..

No problem!!;)

9. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i am able to use my ibook at work on our network (all pcs except for my ibook)

from the finder, i just select "Go > connect to server"

good luck