Ibook only turns on after I hit it

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by h.rashid, Aug 25, 2006.

1. h.rashid macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    I'm new here, and I'm desperate for a solution.
    A couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, my Ibook 12" started turning off by itself.
    At first it would turn on again, I was able to check the HD with the Disk Utility, which reported a fault in the HD. Then after a few times it wouldn't turn on anymore. I couldn't hear the chimes sound and the fan (or HD) would start running pretty fast.
    I went to an apple centre and was faced with a 600 british pounds (roughly 1000$) request to replace the motherboard. Since this is basically the same price I paid for it, I said: "No, thanks."
    A few days after, out of desperation, I slapped the back of the Ibook a couple of times and then tried to turn it on. Everything went fine until it turned off by itself again.
    Now, I'm basically stuck: if I want to turn it on, I have to slap it, otherwise nothing will happen.
    I have even thought of opening it and seeing if there was something wrong inside, but I'm afraid of messing it up more than it already is.
    Please, if anybody has any idea how I can try to solve this help me out.
    I'll be very thankful.
    Thanks a lot
    Haider

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

basically you're screwed i think.

You could try to repair HD and see if it is that, or you have to buy a new logic board and put it in yourself or let a reseller do it.

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is a common iBook problem. Unfortunately, your best bet is to save your sheckles and buy a new laptop.

4. h.rashid thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't there a way to check if any connections inside are screwed?
    Because that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I slap it.
    Maybe a loose cable??
    Thanks

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you would have to open it up. but you said you don't want to do that for fear of worsening the problem

So you're going to have to do something.