Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
First of all, which iBook? It would have to be a tray loading one (i.e. G3). If you have a slot-loading G4, you would have to cut open the case. *Not* reccomended.

Why do you need to upgrade your optical drive? It is not intended to be upgraded. I would not be so sure that they would work at all.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm an apple tech and i am pretty certain that these work so i am just looking for comfermation from someone that may have done it

maby i should have posted this on applefriter

i have a 600MHz g3 ibook 16MB vram.

these drives should work natively as apple uses them and even if they dont you can use patchburn

my cube is not intended to have a radeon 7500 and a dual prosessor but it dose.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Well, it would seem as though you know what you are doing. Anyhow, I havent' heard of a successful replacement from anyone here.

Please let us know how this turns out, and post some pictures of the process! Thank you, and good luck.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
there was a report on xclr8urmac but i can no longer find it

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
I've read a couple of reports from people doing this with an iBook. The laptop drives are essentially a standard form factor so you shouldn't have any problems getting it to fit. They main problem would be the bezel, I think the only option is pull it off the current drive and glue it on the new one.

Of course then you've got the problem that the drive might not have native burn/boot support.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i know that apple uses those drives so it should be fine (and if not i can use patch burn)

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I installed a combo drive into my iBook 600 that came with CDROM.

Now I bought an apple combo off ebay... but before I put it in I also shoved it into my compaq notebook and it worked fine. (have to remove the apple mount to get it in there). so as far as I can tell they all use the same technology and ide interface.

With that said. Man oh man is it a pain in the ass to swap out an optical drive or HD in an iBook. After doing that I said I'd never do it again, but now it looks like I have to go back in to replace the HD that has failed. I'm not looking forward to it.

This link was very helpful, if anything it just let me know how many more steps I had to get to the drive. http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm an apple tech and i have already had my ibook in bits but thanks for the advice what modle of drive was it? mat****sa? sony? toshiba?

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I seem to remember it being a Toshiba. I can't see any Manufacture name on the tray when I open it. I know it wasn't Sony, and I dont think it was Matshi tsa

smileynev

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2003
Hector said:
i'm an apple tech and i have already had my ibook in bits but thanks for the advice what modle of drive was it? mat****sa? sony? toshiba?

If you're an "apple tech" as you've said numerous times in this thread, shouldn't you know?

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Of the two drives you linked to above only one is mentioned (once) being installed in an iBook on the Xlr8yourmac drive database, The Toshiba SD-R2512. There are also 18 listings for other Toshiba models in the iBook (2001), but only three for Matshita drives, Toshiba might be your best bet.

Looks like you might have problems with the drive bezel fitting, We Love Macs sell the CD-RW bezel as a last resort but it's $70.00 which should fit.

Xlr8yourmac Drive Databse said:
I replaced the original ibook (500 mhz) CD-Rom drive with the Toshiba SD-R2512. The drive plays DVD's, reads DVD- R and DVD-RW, boots from CD and over all performs fine. However, you cannot burn from the Finder or iTunes. The Apple profiler lists as "Not Supported" The solution to this is to use the english version of PatchBurn but there is a catch. ( Patchburn 1.1 for Jaguar/OS X 10.2.x - linked in the FAQ's CDROM/CDR section) Under the list of firmware options for Toshiba there are several choices before the names become gibberish (when you see it you'll understand). Select the FIRST unreadable option then restart. Afterwards the Apple Profiler will list the drive as FULLY supported!!
The following test were performed under OS X (10.2.8)

Burning from Finder-Passed
Burning from iTunes-Passed
Booting from CD- Passed (this is not affected by patchburn mods - as no HD drivers/mods are loaded when booting from CD )
Burning from Toast 6.03- Passed ( Not affected by Patchburn mods - Toast does not rely on apple burn support)
Erasing from Toast 6.03- Passed
Apple DVD player- Passed

The bezel that comes with the drive needs to be modified. Actually, you may be able to get around this. It seems that the top and left corner of the bezel makes contact with the ibook. However, if you pull the bezel off ( ever so slightly) on the left side it will close just fine. Otherwise you'll have to push down on the drive to close. The 2 nd option is to TRY and find the "ibook combo bezel". Good luck with that!!!

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
smileynev said:
If you're an "apple tech" as you've said numerous times in this thread, shouldn't you know?

apple changes suppliers constantly it's pure chance.

smileynev

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2003
Hector said:
apple changes suppliers constantly it's pure chance.

You of all people should know which drives would work. Heck, you should know better then anyone on this forum.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I dont know everything and unsuprisingly apple dosent teach you what model of drive it uses in it's ibook and what model of drive to upgrade with because apple dose not support upgrades like that, in the course all it tells you is to replace it with service part 661-3038 and there is no serial number of the actual drive they used (this is for the 24x drive as there is no picture of the drive in the parts page of apples site)

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my ibooks logic bord is slowly going flaky so i have decident not to put money into a sinking ship thanks for the advice anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.