iBook or motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jeff.macaddict, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

I am still in high school, and am looking for a job, and just got into a relationship. I want the motorcycle to get around, but I want the iBook for school as I am a computer geek. I would also be getting free T1 internet from the school via the AirPort extreme network.

I just can't decide- and I can't get both.

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

motorcycle over computers anyday...come on...lol

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I'd buy the motorcycle. It's just more fun. You'll have many happy memories with it. An iBook--well, in a year you'll want to get rid of it and get something newer. Motorcycle will last.

4. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I always would go for the motorcycle! :) If you take care of it it will last you almost forever and you'll have lots of fun with it. A computer is just a tool. A motorcycle is a way of life, giving you so much fun.

groovebuster

5. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Or death.:(

6. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

No risk, no fun!

7. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Who says you can't have both?

The new iCycle.

Attached Files:

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

jesus. christ ;)

I would say go with the motorcycle, as hyou will alaways have a need for transportaton, but ya might not always neeed a laptop.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'd say go with the iBook but I'm crazy like that.

I don't need a car, so that's why I say that. I have a plethora of enlisted drivers at my whim. I'd just use them and get the iBook. :)

scem0

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: iBook or motorcycle?

No one really "needs" a laptop in high-school ... Every one needs a motorcycle though.:cool:

Get the bike now ... When your in College- convince your parents to get you the iBook (Grad Gift maybe?) ... LOL:D

11. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Like the majority on here, I'd go with the motorcycle.

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I honestly expected more people to say iBook... but with the exception of Scem0 everyone has been voting motorcycle ....

13. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

It depends in which grade of high school you are. If you are 11th and up a motorcycle is cool. Just imagine yourself on a motorcycle going up to school. You'll pick up more girls (Unless it's a wimpy bike) and you'll have fun. But a bike also comes with its risks. You can fall down once on the bike and you'll never want to get on it again.

An ibook is a better than having a bike like in your freshman and sofemore years, and you probaly cant drive the bike anyways.

Can you describe the bike? Is it new? Used?

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Ya, after you crash, rather then selling parts for a guitar get the iBook ...:rolleyes:

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well your less likely to kill yourself typing on an iPod........
    but seriously, if you need more things than you can afford at the moment then buy cheaper transportation and save up however much money you need to get the computer, when your in college a computer is going to be much handier than a motorcycle, unless your a jock that is.....

17. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

The bike in mind

I have $2000 in my fun fund, and can spend it on a computer or motorcycle. I was leaning toward a Suzuki Katana 600cc that I saw in my neighborhood. It's a decent bike.

I think the iCycle idea is hilarius! ;-)

Attached Files:

18. cubist macrumors 68020

Why not get a 1988 Honda Civic and a used iBook and do both?

The Civic is a lot more fun to ride when it's raining. I did the motorcycle bit in my younger days. It's fun at first, but it gets to be a real chore.

19. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

Cost of life

I thought about a car-for about 2 seconds! I could afford to get a car, but I have no way to pay for insurance. I plan to ride the motorcycle without insurance for about a year. A bike without insurance is legal as long as you own the bike.

No cash flow for me. I don't have a job. :-(

20. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I ride a motorcycle every day to work and back. With that said, I would buy the computer. First of all, insurance is not the only expense you will have. You will have to buy gas, pay for maintenence (oil changes), registration, a lock, a helmet, repairs (I guarantee that a 600cc bike for under $2000 will need them), etc. If you have never ridden a motorcycle before you are going to have to pay to get a motorcycle license. You may attract some attention for riding around on it but if you are not experienced, actually taking a passenger with you would be inviting death for both of you. Driving in rain sucks. You will have to buy waterproof jacket, pants, and shoes, also if it rains on the way to school, everything in your backpack will get wet. Rain can also make driving a cycle very trecherous.

If I were still in high school I would definitely go for the computer.

21. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Think about the style, the excitement, and the chicks: Get the iBook!;)

On a more serious note, if you have $2000, you should get the iBook. It could prove to be more useful to you.

EDIT: I checked you profile. It says you already have a Dual G4. So I've changed my mind. Since a laptop isn't a necessity in high school, you should get the motorcycle.

22. judith macrumors regular

judith

Do you have experience/hrs on a street bike? All though I'm hands-down partial to the motorcycle, it can be a pain to have it as your only transpo.
    I would hope that safety would be your number one prioity in making the decision tho. I don't mean to get all serious with you, but driving a bike is serious! It's extremely dangerous, people do NOT see bikes, you would have to promise yourself to NEVER drive when you are angry or intoxicated in even the slightest - it's not about your driving skills - it's about everyone else's! Awareness is a constant necessity. Sometimes you can kinda just cruise along in a car, but driving a bike demands full awareness at all times.
    I've riden all my life; flat-track and street, and I just hope that above all things, you consider and weigh the danger factor heavily in your decision making. It's well worth the cost (and humiliation, if you consider it as such) to take beginner lessons and safety courses, and to do whatever it takes to get to know the workings of your machine as yourself.
    In my opinion, if you find any of these as unacceptable conditions, then stay alive, and don't get the bike.;)

23. alxths macrumors 6502

24. neut macrumors 68000

neut

the bike will kill you, get you speeding tickets and probably get a girl pregnant.

the ibook will get you into a better university or at least make you a cooler geek...id go for the book, it's not the seventies anymore ;)

peace.

25. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

Should I buy anything?

I am also considering not getting either for awhile- I live across the street from my school, and there are about five grocery stores within 15 bicycle time. I have a very nice, very good Schwinn 'Le Tour' bike. Lots of accessories but not heavy at all. Should I save, like more money then get a better bike?

BTW- I am in the 10th grade. My only current job is a soccer referee, which pays between $20 to $30 per game. I could do way more games with a motorcycle rather than with my bicycle.

I have some 10 hours of experience with street riding. I think I'll wait and get a better bike- I would hate to ride a piece of crap.