iBook or new DDR G4 PowerMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blakespot, May 16, 2002.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I recently got an itch to take hold of an iBook.

I don't really _need_ an iBook at all. I have a dual-head DP G4 800 + GeForce 3 at home. I am in front of a dual-head P4 for the day job. Commute on the metro is when I get my reading in--so there's no "standard" window during the day where I'd need a iBook.

Still...the thought of setting up wireless IP for occasional browsing in the den (vs. 3rd floor computer room) is appealing. As is the notion of having OS X with me, in case I want to touch it. Just seems it would be "cool" to have such a unit. It'd be great on the new more-frequent trips "home" to visit the folks, etc. The iBooks should have gone through a bump before I'd grab one later in the summer, hopefully bringing 100MHz bus to the low end, maybe better video, etc.

But for the same ~$1100 or so that the iBook would cost, I could sell my DP G4 800 and snag the high-end PowerMac that will be coming out at MWNY (almost certainly), which will prob be dual 1.2GHz G4's at least w/ DDR, ATA-100, GeForce 4Ti, etc. But when I think about it...how much faster do I really need right now. I am quite pleased with the responsiveness of OS X on this machine presently. And Quartz Extreme is on its way. Having Quake 3, Giants, Alice, etc. any faster would be hard to notice (tho I'd happily take some drivers for the GF3 that allow FSAA, I must say...). Maybe it'd be better to let this less-than-a-year-old machine run another year or two and grab the new iBook toy.

Thoughts here? $1100 is not so much. I can produce most of the $$$ as disposable money (trickle of web ad revenue, birthday $$ from the folks, sale of an unneeded hardware item or two, etc.) so it's not as though I'm putting myself out monetarily.

What do you folks think?

blakespot

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I would get the new PowerMac because a 1.4 Dual will be faster that a Dual-800 (I have a dual800 :)) The iBook is fantastic as an oversized PDA or a powerful miniture laptop. I would save up and get both!

Ensign

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yes, but you'd just be trading in one computer for another. Take the iBook, its such a great thing to roam about the house with a wireless connection to the net. Since you already have the dual G4, wait till next year or so to do the upgrade when its a step or two ahead of the ones we'll see at MWNY, maybe even a G5.

Besides, if you ever go on a trip, its nice and small, take your digital camera and DV camera and you can download the pics right after you take them. I use my TiPB for that and I sometimes wonder how I ever got around without it.

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

That makes alot of sense, my TiBooks are very useful when visiting trade shows etc...

It is strange to imagine life without my Tibooks, does that make me a sad person?

Ensign

5. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Indeed, I imagine it would be faster... But the dual 800 is crazy fast as it is. I wonder if more speed would even matter at this point (vs., say, a year or two down the road).

blakespot

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: iBook or new DDR G4 PowerMac?

heh... I'd like to clarify that macrumors provides none of Blake's trickle of ad revenue... we're still at a barely breaking even or at loss stage.

arn

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

hmm, I wonder how I can get macrumors more money.

hmm, I wonder how I can get myself more money.

Ensign

8. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Re: Re: iBook or new DDR G4 PowerMac?

Yes, Arnold... Thank you for clearing that up for the folks.

blakespot

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

MacRumors

First, I'd go for the iBook. Right now, my TiBook is being serviced for a faulty LCD screen :(, and for the last three days, I have been pulling my hair out. I dont know if its because Im afraid of it getting damaged in transit, or maybe it has to do with the fact that I dont have the freedom to work on my demo reel ANYWHERE I am. Or maybe its because Ive snapped a bunch of pictures with my digital camera, and dont have anything to download them to. Or maybe it because I dont get my random UT breaks at work. Getting the picture?

I also have a desktop G4, and dont really think about it when I am not at home. Laptops are so much more fun.

Dont sell your DP and buy a new one. Then, you will feel like you didnt gain anything but a slightly better system, and didnt REALLY get a new toy. Get the iBook, have fun setting up your wireless system, and by the time you are ready to buy again, the G5's (or at least faster G4's) will be out.

Secondly, how IS MacRumors managed? Is it a private site? Who owns it? When did it get started, etc....just curious

10. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Re: MacRumors

Sounds like good advice, and likely the course I will follow.

Check the Site News forum for my response to this your inquiry into this site.

blakespot

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: iBook or new DDR G4 PowerMac?

Arn, I came up with a possible way to entice more members to become contributors. Instead of just being a demi-god, a contributor could choose their own member status name. Jedi-Knight, MacRumors Deamon, Pie-Master, were some of the ones discussed in the other thread.

I've seen it at cgtalk.com, and they use the same vBulletin, so its doable. What do you think?

12. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I think that would be cool (I would certainly want to be MR PowerDyke)... but I also like how now there's an incentive to post more because your status changes. Perhaps if that incentive could be switched to larger avatars or something, and then the name thing would be perfect.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: MacRumors

you can see blake's link... but yes, the site is privately owned... by myself... and dedicated server costs are out of pocket. Ad revenue and macrumors store help... but the site doesn't make a profit.

arn

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thanks for the info-

I think its probably time to make a contribution! I didnt realize it was all out of pocket stuff. I would imagine this site is highly populated, so Im suprised you dont get more advertising than you do. Id hate to see MR pulled because of mainentance costs.

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we're getting closer to the break even point... but every bit helps... overall, I feel asking for overt donations can be a bit lame... the contributer's mug is more of a trade off... in that active users might like it, and also provides support for the site.

arn

16. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thats what I meant--grab up a mug or a shirt or something! Im not much of a coffee drinker, but I go through tshirts like they are staples.

Hey, I dont know if this thought belongs here, but I have an idea. There are a lot of artist/3D/graphic design people who post regularly on MacRumors. Maybe there should be a section of the site with projects, work, or design that was created on a mac; a Mac gallery.

Maybe thats too corny, plus it isnt exactly rumor material. I just thought it would be fun to see other people's stuff who frequesnt the site.

17. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

Apparently the MacRumors mugs work for beer as well.

blakespot

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

A-Haaaaaaaaa

Now we are getting somewhere. Get some beer steins, and you'll probably sell out in a week!

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: iBook or new DDR G4 PowerMac?

maybe it was just me, but something struck me as funny about this line... blakespot kinda sounded like a person thanking his/her spouse for something in a sarcastic manner using the full name... ha

i am easily amused.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I hadn't thought of using it for that, but it would work... especially since I get the 16oz +/- cans of good Irish brews. I had to get 16oz glasses (I toss them in the freezer to make the brew cooler longer) for the stuff.

Hey arn, what kind of chance is there of seeing some stainless steel mugs??? Make them 16oz mugs as well, and I think they would really sell. I would pick up at least two or more of them. Then give them as holiday/b-day gifts to all my peecheese using family members.

As for the topic of this thread... if you really want a portable Mac, go for the new TiBook. Keep your tower though, so that you have the choice to use either. I will be trying to get a tower as soon as I can, and when Apple releases one that really grabs me (like the rev. C TiBook did). Before they released it, I will going to wait another year or two before going for a new one. But when it had the 32MB Radeon 7500 in it, I just couldn't pass it up.

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Pretty likely... stay tuned.

arn

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would definitely want one. I mentioned this way back in the Private forum, redoing the logo and have a Titan level membership. But stainless steel mugs and beer pints too, would be fantastic.

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hmmmm, MacRumors beer mugs/steins.... I would have to order up at least a half dozen (depending on the price).

24. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

good ideas

I think the mugs stainless steel are a great idea. I would buy. Depending on the logo design ofcourse. Which leads me to the thought about what Agreenster said, have an area for posting art and design work.

Maybe even have a contest for the best macrumors logo with the winner getting an immediate upgrade in status!

I think that the more interactive you can make the site the better.
    Via posted works and methods of giving out status to buyer or contributers.
    Or friendly contests, I for one would participate.

Bring it on.

Also there are sites on the net that will place a design on a mug and ship it etc, so that the cost to macrumors is nill.

By the way how many post is it till I canget a avatar?

Oh and to include my comments on this thread!

Buy the Ti , not the iBook, wait on the tower if you can.
    Ti is the best of the best in the mac world right now and will last the longest, thats the beast to get, WORD! <ahem>

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

See arn, I don't think you'd have a hard time paying for running/hosting the site, just expand your merchandise a little and you'll be rolling in it. Besides, all this stuff is good to have on hand if you ever get a booth at a trade show. What would the minimum order be for these items? I've made a mug for my company, and we had to get a 144.