ibook or new pb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by logos, Sep 21, 2003.

1. logos macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2003
    I am in a dilemma about whether to buy a 12" ibook or the low-end 12" pb (the new range just launched).

Main uses will be light graphics, web authoring, use of filemaker or equivalent for databasing, office type stuff, surfing, emailing. I will be travelling with it a lot.

Which is likely to be the most robust and long-lived? I have heard from one source that Apple are going to make the G4 the de facto chip of their portables. From *another* source I have heard that the G3 in the ibook will have a longer supported life because of the IBM connection (viz. the G5 chips) as opposed to the Motorola chips of the G4s which may be abandoned??

What I want is reliability and to be able to use it comfortably for the next 3-4 years. Is the pb really worth the extra outlay?
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yes it is. The difference between the G3 and G4 is huge. Plus, the PowerBook is an all around nicer machine. Aluminum case, AirportExtreme, Bluetooth, ect. Stop considering the iBook and go buy the 12" PowerBook, you won't regret it.
  3. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would say go with the powerbook. It definitely has more features, which could come in handy in the future.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm getting the iBook. Before last week's revision, the 12" PB was barely faster than the 12" iBook, and so I would have never paid for the 12" PB. However, the 12" PB is now definitely faster than the iBook. However, do you need the speed?

When considering the casing of both systems, most people will say that the iBook was definitely better engineered, although I believe the aluminium casing is aesthetically more pleasing. It also has a better keyboard.

Forget worrying about which processor will be around in 3 years. If you can afford it, then go for the 12" PB since it's a long-term investment for you. It has all the latest ports (USB2, FW800, etc), and so you'll be able to use USB 2.0 devices that come out in two years. This may not seem like a big deal now, but it may be when all new devices use it.

But if you're like me and know that you simply won't give a ****, not even in 2 years time, then get the iBook because of its sturdiness, price, and good performance you get for the low price you're paying.
  5. logos thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2003
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

I am favouring the pb more and more. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is like in terms of generating a lot of heat and whether that has an adverse effect on performance at all e.g. random resetting like happens all too often on high powered PC laptops... not that there's a comparison...
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    In my opinion no computer can really be used comfortably for more than 2 years, definitely not 4... But either way, I would say the PowerBook is absolutely worth its price over the iBook