ibook or pb for GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fistful, Apr 19, 2004.

1. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

topic.

I want to hook my guitar up to it so I'm wondering what I'll need? I've heard people say that I'd need a pre-amp with an ibook, but not on the pb..is this so?

I've been thinking of switching to mac for about two years now and this is, I feel the perfect time to do so. the most I can afford is a 15" pb w/sd but I'm leaning more towards a 12" ibook or pb, and advice?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You'll need a pre amp either way.

If GarageBand is your biggest concern, the PowerBook may edge out the iBook if it has a line in. Even if it does, is it worth $500 to have one? I'd say the iBook is a good choice.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's never really about what you need, but rather what you want. I mean theoretically a G3 imac would probably do what you need it to, but who would want to use that?

Is spending enough for a 15'' powerbook worth it to you? If so, go for it, it's a great computer. If not, go with a cheaper computer.

4. fistful thread starter macrumors 6502a

fistful

considering the pb has line in wouldn't I just need one of these(see attachment)? sure I realise a pre-amp would be better but I just require decent sound quality.

also what accessories would I need to attach the pb to my stereo receiver and or tv?

5. jcook793 macrumors regular

I have recorded without a preamp and it *does* work. That is, you can hear it. But trust me, get a preamp, you'll be glad you did. Especially when it comes time to plug in a microphone.

Personally I'd take the price difference between a PowerBook and an iBook and pick up a decent tube preamp (I use the PreSonus BlueTube: http://www.presonus.com/html/products/bluetube.html) and a good mic.

Has anyone heard if there is increased time delay between a USB line-in source vs. the built-in one? If that were the case then I'd probably opt for the PowerBook since the iBook has no line in.