ibook or PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mitter, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mitter macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2005

My daughter starts Duke Univ. in the fall. She will be a typical student, no heavy duty graphic or video editing. (alot of writing, internet etc.) I am looking for suggestions as to buying a 14" ibook or the more expensive 15" PB. The apple educational discount runs out on June 24th so I need to make a decision. As a faithful Apple user from the days of the LC2, I am looking for suggestions.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    If you can afford it, the 15" has a vastly better screen - higher res, slightly larger, better quality. As far as sheer horsepower is concerned, either the iBook or PB will be fine. However, I think the additional screen real estate - without much more size or weight - make the PB a very definite favorite among those who could afford both. The backlit KB would also come in handy, perhaps, in dim classrooms/lecture halls/late-night writing. But I'd get it just for the screen. I got a 12"PB knowing I'll upgrade (then pass the PB to my wife) at some point; if it were my only Mac, I'd've gotten the 15" or 17" models.
  3. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005
    There are numerous topics covering this...just do a quick search through the forums.

To answer your question...I would recommend the 12" Ibook. It has the same resolution as the 14" but cheaper and easier to carry to and from class. If she needs the screen space, you could always buy a monitor to hook up externally (a hack might be needed for the ibook to do this though). The powerbook would be overkill as it is geared towards professionals...The 12" ibook is what I'll most likely purchase for law school this fall. I will couple it w/ my Dell 20.1" monitor...sweet...the ibooks are due for updates though, you might want to wait a week or two...

also, u might want take advantage of cram and jam..not sure when it starts...@ Duke do they give freshmen ipods??? if so cram and jam isnt for her..
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I have the 15" PB for college and its great. The size/weight isn't really an issue. The added screen size is great for having multiple window's open. if there is an apple store or a reseller you should check them both out and get a fell for them both.
  5. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Virginia, U.S.A.
    If you want to get your daughter a machine that will easily last four years of university, then I suggest the 15" PB. It is a nice combination of features, portability, and overall value. Duke might also offer their own configurations and pricing, as my university does (and I saved $150 below the regular education discount when I bought my 12" PB this past Monday).

Also make sure she takes care of it. Within a few months of collegiate use, I've seen some PowerBooks go from spectacular to horrifying. One girl knocked her water bottle over onto her PB and came running to me to ask what to do... ::sigh::

I would recommend you to buy a nice case (search these threads for ideas, I use a Booq and am loving it) and also some iKlear helps clean up the wrist rests on the notebook as they are likely to absorb lots of oils and whatnot from skin contact.
  6. x_Viper_x macrumors newbie

May 23, 2005
    i just bought a 17" PB (be here tuesday) and i'm really excited, I'm off to college next year too.

For you I would recommend an iBook maybe 12" cause its small and easy to carry around, wait a little bit though, because a iBook update is long overdue.
  7. Alisha macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2005
    The regular edu discount has a time limit on it?! Im screwed...
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    He must be referring to a special offer of some sort. The edu discount is valid as long as you're qualified - and his daughter is certainly going to be qualified.
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA

A keypad/screen protector (which could be as simple as a paper towel, although the ones you buy are better suited to the task), a sleeve (many options there), and a protective case. It doesn't have to cost you much, but they're one of those "ounce of prevention" things... well worth a few extra $$.
  10. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    True - who knows what the updates will bring. However, I recommend the 12" PB over the 12" iBook for everything except raw durability - the iBook will survive more bad treatment than the PB. Other than that, though, the PB is better and not really all that much more expensive if you bring the iBook up to similar specs in terms of RAM, disk, BT, etc.

YMMV, though.
  11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Go with the 15" PowerBook over the 14"iBook, no question. However, if the 12" iBook gets updated in a couple of weeks, consider getting the 12". Otherwise, you can't beat the 15" PB.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I have a 14" iBook, and it does everything I need it to, which is all your daughter will need it for. However, I do wish it had a higher resolution screen. Her young eyes will definitely be able to handle it. She may love the 12" of iBook or Powerbook because it's so 'cute' as my daughter says (she's not getting one yet). But the 15" PB is a great computer.

Is there a store you can go to for you and her to play around with them and let her decide?

Also, I have MS Office 2004, and I really like it on the Mac. You might think of that, too.
  13. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    For the wrist rests, go out and buy a generic pack of PDA screen protectors. Take two out and apply one to each side of the mousepad on the wrist rests. It will keep it from looking like crap by getting scratched by all the jewllery and watches and all. They fit perfectly (assuming it is a 12" size).
  14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say go with the 15" PB over the 14" iBook. The wide screen helps a lot with productivity, especially if you have multiple windows open (multi-tasking). Plus, the price difference isn't that much more between the two when you up the specs on the iBook to match that of the 15" PB.

IMO, I think the 15" PB is a better investment. And with the education discount and $100 rebate, you can pick up the base 15" PB for about $1699 versus the current base iBook for about $1256.

It'd be a different story, however, if you were going to wait for the iBook updates. Who knows what Apple will put in them. But since you want to buy one now, go for the 15" PB.
  15. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    I'd say the 15 PB as well.

As said before the extra screen space helps a lot. An extra monitor is nice, but when you are frantically typing notes in class, that extra monitor dosent really help much. Also the PB should last her through her college years and then some.

BTW Durham also has an Apple store in town, so thats an added plus should she ever need any assistance.

Also some good advice mentioned above about cases, sleeves, etc. I cant stress the importance of a good case enough (But here is a clue, imagine student A walking with PB in his hand, student A drops PB, PB contains the only copy of student A's thesis paper).

That said, a small external harddrive (or iPod, though im not sure how large the HD is on the Duke iPod's) is a good investment to have for back-up. Professors really dont dig hearing "Well my computer crashed, so i lost my <insert important document, paper, HW, research, etc> .

Hope this helps...