Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I'm saving up (very slowly) for an iBook for High School. Right now I'm in Grade 8, and I graduate in a few days. I need something that is cost effective, has a good battery life, and can play a couple of Mac games. Ex. Command & Conquer: Generals. ;)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
save up

Save up, wait for the G5 laptops, which you will want to buy when you go to college. Right now you can go over a friends house or use the computers if you school has them. Maybe your school will give out laptops soon since it is all the rage now a days, and it does improve kids learning. (saw this in person myself).

Now if you absolutely must have a laptop then i would say that if it is going to be schooling only, then 12 inch iBook. If you want games, then High iBook if not a PB. Also think about what else you want to do. Video, audio, make sure you get something that will last you some time, or wait, and get the new G5 PB when they come out in a year or two.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
mattthemutt said:
would a souped up 12" iBook be ok for games?

I would suggest going with a 12" PB. The 32MB graphics card in the iBook is not that great for games like C&C. Get a 12" PB and install the extra RAM yourself - I've done it and it's very easy.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
mattthemutt said:
Is the Powerbook more cost effective than the iBook?

It depends on what you're doing with it. It seems like you're going to be playing somewhat graphic intensive games in which case it would be better to go with the PB. If you plan on doing video editing go with the PB. If you are going to do light gaming and mostly school work, then iBook. The only thing that you should watch out for is that the PB does not come with AppleWorks. This means that you're only Word Processor is TextEdit which is not that great. I would still suggest the 12" PB but make sure you get Office 2004 Student Teacher Edition with it.

Let me know what you plan to do with it,
JOD8FY

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
The current iBook is basically a repackaged Rev. B 12" PowerBook, spec wise.

I'd say go with the iBook, it's more durable and if you load it up with ram it will be a great machine.

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
mattthemutt said:
I'm saving up (very slowly) for an iBook for High School. Right now I'm in Grade 8, and I graduate in a few days. I need something that is cost effective, has a good battery life, and can play a couple of Mac games. Ex. Command & Conquer: Generals. ;)
use a desktop.. you DONT need a laptop in high school... and if you do... they will give it to you...

i would suggest waiting for a g5 powerbook for college and buying a cheep p4 desktop so you can play your games at home.... if all you want to do is play that game then there is no reason to spend more than 400 dollars on a computer...

ToastCabbit

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2004
Centre College
Save up

They're right. Save up for a G5 pb for college. I just finished my freshman year of college and will attest, despite the occasional nay-sayers in the crowd, that a laptop is the way to go.

I really didn't need a laptop for any of my high school work. Ever. Granted, it would have been nice, but then again so would a Porsche. :p A desktop for high school will suit your purposes just fine, I believe.

Besides, saving up will get you an awfully swell G5 in the future.
;) Think of it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.