Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
This is not just another iBook vs. Powerbook thread. Well it kind of is...:D

I am thinking about finally getting a Mac laptop, and I have enough money for either: 12" iBook, 14" iBook, 12" PB Combo, 12" PB SD, 15" PB Combo, 15" PB SD.

I already know that 12" is for me, so that narrows it down to either: 12" iBook, 12" PB Combo, 12" PB SD.

I have a nice superdrive in my Quicksilver and a faster one in my grandpa's G5. I do not need, or want, a super drive in my laptop. That again narrows down my choices to a 12" iBook or 12" PB Combo. I am a student, so the powerbook's price would be the EDU price. The iBook would only be $50 less with EDU discount.

Now..I want to know your opinions on what to get. But first read this:

-I don't care about price, don't say, "The iBook is cheaper so you'll have money left over."
-I don't care about looks, yes I know some think the PB looks nicer.
-I don't care about how long they will last (being able to run the latest software wise). I switch every 2 years anyway.
-I don't care about HD storage, DVI port, or most other PB exclusive features like higher VRAM, etc.

I am debating which material I like better. I like the aluminum, but I don't like the "pitting" and I will NEVER use palm screen protectors on my computer, never. I heard that the aluminum dents, while the iBook gets pressure cracks. Not sure which is better there...

What are your opinions?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
My Friend's AlBook has no pits and its 2 years old. However, i have seen pits on some.

I think I prefer the iBooks personally though. They feel stronger.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
ITASOR said:
I have a nice superdrive in my Quicksilver and a faster one in my grandpa's G5. I do not need, or want, a super drive in my laptop. That again narrows down my choices to a 12" iBook or 12" PB Combo. I am a student, so the powerbook's price would be the EDU price. The iBook would only be $50 less with EDU discount.

How do you get the iBook to only $50 less? The base 12" iBook is $950 with edu. The 12" PB is $1399. Both currently have $100 off with the rebate. If you load up the iBook with a bigger HD, more RAM and BT to match the PB, the iBook is still only $1128 ($271 cheaper).

Anyways, back to the question, if money was no object, I'd get the PB. Part of the Aluminum is the nicer aluminum keyboard as well. I never had any issues with pitting. The PB cleans off pretty nicely and I think moreso than the iBook. The iBook shows dirt more and the keyboard especially tends to grime up. If you plan on denting the hell out of your PB, the plastic may be better since I think it can take more of beating, but I like the Aluminum better. I'd try to take care of it nicely.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I mean't the iBook's standard EDU price of $950 is $50 less than the standard $1000.

I think I'm leaning towards the iBook as well. They do feel stronger.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
ITASOR said:
I mean't the iBook's standard EDU price of $950 is $50 less than the standard $1000.

I think I'm leaning towards the iBook as well. They do feel stronger.

Additionally, while I've seen both pits and pressure cracks (on PB and iBook, respectively), the pressure cracks have all been cosmetic injuries, while I've seen some pretty function-damagin PB injuries. I'd go for the iBook.

Applespider

macrumors G4
To be honest, I'd get the PB just because the screen resolution is better.

On my 15" PB, I work with windows overlapped on the screen so that I can drag and drop easily. On Mum's 12" iBook, that's pretty much impossible - you need to work in one window at a time.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Applespider said:

On my 15" PB, I work with windows overlapped on the screen so that I can drag and drop easily. On Mum's 12" iBook, that's pretty much impossible - you need to work in one window at a time.

I would have it hooked up to my 17" LCD when it was on my desk, so that's not a problem.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Applespider said:

Both 12" laptops have 1024x768 displays however.

I'd go for the 12" iBook myself (and indeed I will be soon, unless Apple increase the resolution on the 14" iBook). I don't think the PowerBooks provide enough extra features for the extra money.

Part of me is hoping the iBook will be redesigned like the iPod Mini though, but we'll find out when it happens.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
ITASOR said:
I would have it hooked up to my 17" LCD when it was on my desk, so that's not a problem.

Hmm, does the LCD use DVI? If so, go for the PowerBook because it has DVI output and monitor spanning.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
As a current iBook G4 user and a College student...

Go with a Powerbook!

If money isn't an issue that is.
It may not make sense since I'm not using a Powerbook, but I'm not real happy with my iBook case. The outside is scratched to death, and the palm rests and keyboard are getting pretty dirty, and they don't clean up very well. It will never be as white as it originally was.

Seriously, are you really going to be dropping your 'book? Just don't drop it and you'll be fine.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
so this pitting stuff...

what's up with all that? I have seen some comments on the pitting, but I'm not sure exactly what people are talking about. I assume it's on the palm rest, but what should I expect in the future as a new PB owner?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Here is a quote from one of my local Apple Repair people:
"The PowerBooks are tanks. People bring them in dented all the time. We ask, you won’t to get it fixed, we tell them how much it will cost, and they always say no. Big old honking dents, and the things keep running." (Paraphrased)

No pitting on this computer, but I have a Zero case from the 60's and it is so pitted and warn, that it looks super cool! It was left floating in seawater for years, lots of pitting, but after I rubberized the inside and cleaned off some of marine gunk, it now looks like it’s been around the world hundreds of times. Scars can look good.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Eniregnat said:
No pitting on this computer, but I have a Zero case from the 60's and it is so pitted and warn, that it looks super cool! It was left floating in seawater for years, lots of pitting, but after I rubberized the inside and cleaned off some of marine gunk, it now looks like it’s been around the world hundreds of times. Scars can look good.

Nice to know, but I am worried about the 40 years that are in between now and the time when it will look cool ;)

ThatSoundAgain

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2005
Applespider said:

Actually, what sold me on OS X was exposé (yes, I'm a fairly recent switcher). I remembered from working with OS 9 that drag'n'drop used to involve first positioning your two windows in preparation, much like I had to with MS Windows.

Now, the truly great feature with exposé IMO is that drag'n'drop works across it. So I just grab what I want, move to the "show all"-corner, pick a window and let the mouse hover for a sec - and then let go. Brilliant.

Oh, I'm on a 12" iBook, BTW.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
All this talk of corrosion is one of the reasons I'm looking at another iBook in a month or two instead of a PowerBook.

My iBG3 is holding up well, just a bit old and slow :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
JeffTL said:
All this talk of corrosion is one of the reasons I'm looking at another iBook in a month or two instead of a PowerBook....

Looks like few (one so far) person has seen corrosion issues. Not to much talk so far. I have to wonder what PBs these were and what chemical plant do these people work at?

This goes to show that there are different strokes for different folks. I have never seen pitting on anybodies PBs. I live next to the ocean and one would reason that sea air would be the worst for PBs.

If money is no object, then why not get a PowerBook and have it anodized? The Al PBs are already anodized, but not dyed, so you would have one very chosen and scratch resistant PB. Perhaps you could have it powder coated. Just go to PBFixIt.com, remove the case parts, and have it done localy. Nothing resists corrosion like thermoset plastics, but plastics do have their draw backs.

tuartboy said:
Nice to know, but I am worried about the 40 years that are in between now and the time when it will look cool ;)
Digression, I found it at an antique store. I talked the guy down, removed the lineing and then spent 25 $US for Al stripper, cadmium Al sealer/prebond paint, and spray on tool dip. It looks very cool in the inside and out.

A company that sell prepainted PBs. - 20 Colors to choose from. Get a matching Mini and iPod while your there. You can even buy your own and send it to them for coloring.

No possibility of pitting with the same scrachability of the iBook:
Carbon,Hybrid,Midnight,Steel- I am partial to Hybrid.

Attachments

• carbon.jpg
    carbon.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 171
  • hybrid.jpg
    hybrid.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
  • midnight.jpg
    midnight.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 177
  • steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 169
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.