Ibook Or Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brenton, Mar 30, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Hello. I am still deciding which mac to get. I already have a HP and A Goodworking Custom PC that is pretty good. so I dont think I need a mac desktop yet. So Im gonna go with a Laptop.

Would I need a Ibook or a Powerbook for what I do

I do

Internet/ Email

one Ilife application at a time

Instant Messaging (Also Can I get regular AIM for mac and What version of msn messenger is for mac)

I type stuff onto Word (Will appleworks work fine for me for typing, or Will I need Microsoft Package)

Limited stuff on the harddrive because I dont have a problem deleting.

So Im sorta thinking the 14' Powerbook is right for me. Do you guys think so too

2. therevolution macrumors 6502

You mean 14" iBook? There is no 14" PowerBook. Seems like an iBook would be best in your case.

3. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Find a previous-gen Powerbook or an Apple-refurb PB. Nearly the same price as the iBook, but Tiger-friendly gpu, better screen (arguable) MUCH better keyboard, Dvi, higher quality machine. I just picked one up for ~$1k @ Microcenter, though I've heard they are selling them cheap at some local places also.

Anything>1Ghz is overkill for 90% of OSX apps. Get 512mb+ ram though, you can install/upgrade this yourself easily and buy it cheaply via dealram.

If you want more screen, then hook up a cheap external monitor to the PB, this is something the ibook cannot[is not designed to] do, and it will give you MUCH more screen, the 14" ibook has the same screen aspect ratio as the 12" iBook/PB, just physically bigger/magnified and is (imho) a waste.

The 15" PB is a masterpiece, but it is very expensive. I had an Ibook for my last notebook and always wished I had gotten a Powerbook, even an older one. Once you get a portable mac I would be suprized if it didn't become your primary computer, despite having a nice pc. :)

4. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Powebook...go to your local apple store and test drive the PBs and ibooks.

But invest in a PB

5. brenton thread starter macrumors member

omg. So your saying that the 14" on Ibook is the exact same size as 12" on powerbook. if thats true the powerbook is for me

6. kg9ov macrumors member

The 14" iBook is physically larger than the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook, but the max. screen resolution of the LCD is exactly the same (1024x768).

-Tony

7. 2Sticky macrumors regular

8. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Physically of course the 14" is bigger, but as both machines have the same screen resolution you will not SEE anymore on the 14" than the 12" screen. The only difference is that items viewed on a 14" will be magnified.

Vanilla

9. Open-Your-Eyes macrumors newbie

Powerbook, prolong its future

Whilst saving up for a year, ive been constantly asking the same question, powerbook or ibook. I now have a powerbook on its way in the post.

I'd advise the powerbook as with the extra specs, its going to last that little bit longer. And when its only a small percentage more than the ibook when considering overall cost, it just seems the best thing to do.

I have the 12" model coming, more options for adding onto a seperate monitor as well, seeing as its not only video mirrowing, but dual display mode, great feature, have you i life ap on the 12" and your work on the big screen etc.

There is certainly an element of 'peace of mind' with the powerbook. Its going to last slightly longer, potential of tiger, and has recently been updated too.

Wait that little longer and get something that looks stunning, and is stunning. Its worth it.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Everyone makes it seem as if a Powerbook is the only way to go. It isn't. This guy is the ideal iBook user, whether it be 12" or 14". Let him get the 12" iBook. Its much cheaper than a 12" PB, and as you already pointed out that the resolution is the same as on the 14", its not going to matter anyway, right? Or maybe he should get the 14" iBook if eyesight is an issue, as things appear slightly larger.

And no, a Powerbook will not "last longer." They'll become obsolete at exactly the same time. These small speed increases by Apple won't make either system obsolete in one swoop. But when the BIG update happens (dual core G4 or PPC 970-mobile), they will both be obsolete at the same time.

Has he posted anything that would suggest he cares about anything other than that the computer works and he has the right software? I was him 5 years ago, and was fine with a 17" CRT with 1024 x 768 resolution (if I remember correctly). Resolution won't matter to him. It barely matters to me, and I do much more. I'm okay with my 12" PB screen.

Get an iBook and use the extra money saved to buy some RAM and a new digital camera or iPod. ;)

11. Bear macrumors G3

I suggest you go into a store and play with the machines on your list. While the 12" is perfect for some, others don't like the font size and prefer the 14" iBook or 15" PowerBook.

Also, while you don't list any heavy uses, you might find you prefer the screen layout on a 15" PowerBook.

Also, if weight matters, the PowerBooks are lighter in general.

You main issue is make sure you have enough memory for whatever you're running.

12. 2Sticky macrumors regular

Alrite, I understand now.