iBook or powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by StokeLee, Oct 28, 2005.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Is there somewhere where i can compare the two side by side? The newest models if someones done one.
    Im in the process of selling my XP laptop, and ive got an itch i cant scratch unless its with an Apple laptop. :D

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

you can go to the apple store to look at them side by side... I don't know if you're near one, but if you aren't, I think it's time for a road trip! :)

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

this is a good question though. depending on which ones your looking at. since the 12" pb weren't really updated, would it be smart to get one? or would a 14" ibook be better?

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Live by an Apple Store? If not, do you live next to a CompUSA?

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

12" or 14" ibook would be better.

6. PharmD macrumors 6502

Go to the Apple Online Store and click on the pic of the PB's. About half-way down that page is a link called "Powerbook and iBook comparison chart". That should help.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the ibook can hold up to 2GB of RAM, other than that, the pb is better, correct?

8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, seeing as you've got the iMac I'm guessing you don't need loads of power so an iBook would probably suffice. I guess it'd come down to how big you want your screen though. If you want a 12 inch screen, definitely go for the iBook, if not then look at the PowerBook but remember that you'll probably be paying for features that you don't necessarily need.

I think it's 1.5GB for the iBook, 1.25GB for the smallest PowerBook and 2GB for the larger PowerBooks. :)

10. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

PharmD, thank you, i never noticed that, i shall go and look.
    Mad Jew, well ive got an iMac G5, the 2ghz model just before the built in isight, so going by that, i think maybe the ibook.

Everyone else, road trip sounds good, well train trip, birmingham bullring is not too far away by train, and it takes me straight there, and thats there new Uk store too.....

Thanks peeps :D

Edit :- One more thing, how far away do you reckon the intel chips are going to be? Say if ive got the money to buy the apple laptop before Xmas? is it going be worth getting one now, or waiting, What do you think the prices are going to be like?

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you are right. sorry, i don't know what i was thinking. but anyways, the ibook can hold more ram than the 12" powerbook, but other than that, the ibook doesn't really have an advantage, right?

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're right. It has a better battery life (slightly) and better wireless reception but the 12 inch PowerBook is still arguably the better computer, irrespective of price. The only issue is that the PowerBook is so much more expensive than the iBook (well, it is in Australia at least).

The Intel thing's tricky. Firstly, it's all speculation, so don't take anything anyone says as a given. From what I've gathered it looks like the iBook will go to Intel before the PowerBook based on the fact that Steve said the consumer line would be the first to go. However, I don't know if what he said applies to laptops. Irrespective of what goes when, it's pretty safe to say that it looks like the first Intel Mac will be a mid-2006 baby at the earliest, and even then I think it'll probably be the mini.

As for waiting, well that's really up to you. I think prices will remain about the same over the next few years relative to PC laptops and Apple isn't fond of discounts for ageing lines so waiting probably won't help in that respect. The only benefit would be waiting for the current line to be superseded in which case Apple will discount old Macs for you. Although the Intel Macs will be a step forward from what I've gathered, there's also the very high chance that the first few years will produce pretty erratic and unreliable Macs as they iron out all the gremlins. So whether they'll actually be better than current Macs is debatable.

So, there's quite a bit to think about there. Since computers (and technology) advance at such a fast rate, I like to think of them in terms of how well they suit my needs. In other words, I pay a certain price for a product that meets my needs and if a newer/cheaper one comes out the next day then so be it. I'll still be happy with mine because it meets my needs and it does so at the price I was willing to pay.

Once OSX goes Intel, I think we'll be seeing updates much more often, meaning that at first people are going to get a bit irate about not having the latest and greatest for long enough, but that's another issue. :)

Good luck in whatever purchase you decide upon. Don't worry too much about the Intel thing. For the consumer, it means practically nothing.

13. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

I cant decide, Im one of them people who loves the extra gadgets and stuff, and the illuminated keyboard on the 15&17" powerbooks sort of swings it for me, but thats way much more than i was planning on buying.

Im going to have to go to the Bullring to the Apple store and have a look, a touch, a play.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

Lee
    :D

14. panda macrumors regular

touch touch

you are quite right. touch and play is a good idea.

i think you may find that the 15" relly hits the sweet spot, the screen is terrific now. you'll probably notice how crisp the text is and very black and legible.

hey, who knows, you may find that you don't even need your imac anymore.
    :)

15. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Not need my iMac, noooo it stays, its just perfect, optical cable to my amp, freeview tv, iTunes, that bit more oomph that a G5 processor gives.. And so much more,

The Apple laptop will be for when I cant use my iMac, like when im at work, downstairs, on the toilet, (im kidding) ..

See thats one reason why i dont need the best powerbook, (though it would be nice) (but i still love the extra's on the 15" and 17' powerbook,, what to do, what to DO,.........

16. panda macrumors regular

... no kidding bout the toilet... it works for me and my ibook.

that said, i can totally understand your pb dilema. the 15" is gorgeous, if you've not seen the screen, then you're missing out. that may be the decider.

it also has the optical audio connector too now... uh oh.:)