iBook or Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fuge, Feb 19, 2002.

1. fuge macrumors member

Should I buy a powerbook or an iBook? I've gone through the comparisons. Could any of you that own either/both or have struggled with this same question please respond.

Also, why did you choose what you're using?

<fuge>

gear:
    900mhz PC - NO Mac yet but desire a laptop and the new iMac.

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well it really depends on what you are going to use it for ...im sure you heard this already. ive just purchased a powerbook because im going to need the extra processor speed and the 133mhz bus speed that comes in the 667 model..for my print media and video projects..as i am a graphic artist. if you are just someone who wants it for everday/consumer oriented things and then some well... the iBook is just fine....however if you prefer the the extra umph then its the powerbook.

its really up to you and what you can afford. if you can afford 2200 to 3000 then i would go for the powerbook ( actually you can get some as low as 1700) for sure.... do it baby!

im sure others on this board can provide you with better help...but im tried. hope you get your needs met and then some.

3. fuge thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks for your input.

I've appreciated your comments in the other threads.;)

I'm definitely leaning to the powerbook because it's just plain awesome.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that can argue for the iBook instead of the powerbook.

Money is somewhat of a hindrance but I can save. I'm more concerned about people's experiences with either and whether they still love their laptop, pbook or ibook, objectively of course.
    ;)
    <fuge>:D

4. Vilacr macrumors regular

I know I will get flamed for this, but here it is..... How about getting a dell latitude? I say this b/c I own the apple ibook (G3 600 mhz), apple powerbook(G4 667) ,dell latitude PIII 800 mhz and dell dimension 8200 PIV 2.2 ghz desktop. The dell latitude is by far the fastest laptop I own. Do not get me wrong I love macs and have been a mac user (as well as pc user) for many years. I am more of the realistic type and view the machines from an unbiased view. In everyday tasks the dell wins hands down. I have read many articles from rumor sites stating how fast a g3 or g4 can be. There is no denying these chips are fast and in some instances faster than the fastest pentium or amd chips. However, from my tests and having owned ,and still own, 4 computers I must say the the dell is faster. For graphics pros the powerbook is by far the best machine. The ibook is ok and will be fine for everyday tasks as well. As far as operating systems go...osx isn't as stable as windows 2000 from my standpoint. I have crashed os x many times on the ibook and a few times on the powerbook. On the other hand I have yet to crash windows 2000 on the dell and it is an older machine. OS X has a long way to go before I can say it is the best OS out there. OS 9 was and is better for me. I know there are a lot of love for macs ( I am one of those) I just keep an open mind and use the machine that is right for the task at hand.

5. fuge thread starter macrumors member

No MS

Thanks for you input on the Dell.

I try to be impartial when looking at PC's and Macs but I have gotten weary of using Windows. I've never used 2000 and hear that it is stable but the direction that MS is going doesn't appeal to me.

I DO like the digital hub vision that Apple has for computing. I personally am interested in using my computer for the things that Apple promotes: pictures, video, movies, music, and even website design and graphic art.

I am still doing a lot of research on this and am listening to everyone that is willing to share. I'm pretty resigned to renewing my Mac experience with a laptop. Whether it is iBook or TiBook really depends on what people are telling me and what I experience firsthand.

Thanks again for your input. Can I ask why you have 4 laptops? :)

I didn't realize that OSX wasn't as stable. Anyone else confirm this?

<fuge>
    A future Mac user:D:D

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

OS X stability.

It's bunk. Most users forget they can get out of pretty much anything by switching Apps to one that isn't frozen then kill the offending app with ForceQuit. For those who have forgotten: "apple-tab" switches apps. Also, the failure of a program is NOT the OS, typically it's the App itself that's unstable.

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

As I always do...hehe

As I always do I will put one up for the iBook. I think it is cool and I like how every person is so impressed with how compact it is. It is pretty dang snappy as well. The nice thing is the money you save you can put into things like more RAM and an iPod. The screen that I have 12.1" is very bright and clear. I think if you are going to be carrying it around a lot you might like the compact size and the durability that is built into the iBook. I would say side-by-side the Powerbook is better, but if you factor in everything including value for the price then the iBook looks like one heck of a deal.

I have also noticed my G3's are running OSX better and better with every rev. so I think by the time 10.2 is on the ground the G3's will be running it as well as they did the Classic OS. Of course the G4's will probably be running it that much better, but still it will be quite snappy. Go for the 600MHz model with the combo drive and either the 12.1" like I have or a 14.1" for a little more if you have to have a bigger screen. I like the smaller one, cause it is so easy to carry with me everwhere. Either is a good choice, but if you are a value minded consumer shopper you can't go wrong with a new iBook.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oh my... did i just see what i thought i saw. someone preferring a dell over a mac? tell me it aint so. i must be zoning here. :eek:

9. fuge thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

Thanks Abercrombieboy!

You make some good points about the iBook and I appreciate that they come from experience.

<fuge>:D

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

simply put...

if u will need it to be a little more rugged and can handle a cutdown of performance....the iBook....

if not....then go for the PowerBook! :p

11. fuge thread starter macrumors member

how much of a cutdown?

Good input eyelikeart.

How much of a cutdown in performance are we talking about? Anyone know from personal experience?

<fuge>

12. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Re: No MS

I can confirm that WInXP is less stable. I* have a dual 800 and a 2.2 GHz Dell, running X.1.3 and XP respectivly, and I can't get on the 'Net for 10 minutes on the Dell without me getting about 50 errors with numbers between -10054297 and 1018416.....

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

POWERBOOK

oh, forgot to cover this in my last post....POWERBOOK!!!!! It's faster(more like a portable desktop than a slow little laptop) and it has more options for RAM and HDD. Go for it, if you've got the money...

14. fuge thread starter macrumors member

thanks!

Thanks Stealthrider. $ is usually ALWAYS an issue. Patience is what I need more of.;)

Thanks for the info on WinXP. I know this isn't really the place for Windows discussions but I've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to XP on my PC at home.

Blessings.

<fuge>

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

OS X is less stable than what? It's the most stable thing I use. I have my OS X machines up and running for weeks at a time with no visible problems. Sure IE crashes from time to time, but that's not the OS.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, I forgot: I have both a 667 PB and an old 466 iBook. The G4 makes a noticeable difference in GUI responsiveness, but with the same screen resolution (except for that extra 128 pixel stripe on the G4), extra ruggedness and a combo drive, it's hard to beat a new iBook for the price. Unless you can think of good reasons the G4 would suit your needs better, I'd definitely give the iBook some serious consideration.

17. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

that really was someone choosing a dell over a mac. oh my!

18. fuge thread starter macrumors member

thanks Gelfin

Thanks Gelfin for your response.

Because of all the caring people on the forums I am considering the iBook more. I'll let you know what I decide.

Any more responses to the Pbook or iBook choice?

<fuge>
    :D

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

as long as your desicion is an educated one...by all means go for it. and im sure it is educated. im glad everyone could help you.

20. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

As of today, I am in the market for a TiBook.. However, with all the specultion going around about it being speedbumped in the near future, I will wait. Tokyo? New York? I don't know.. either way, I will have to get one before August. My question is, what are the chances the rev c tibook will get the apollo chip? I hear they run cooler..

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i seriously doubt the rev c tibooks (if any) will come with the apollo chip. really man. i dont think there will be a rev c anyways.