Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gavzilla2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2003
Nevada
I am looking to buy a new mac laptop, but I am trying to determine which one I should buy. I will need the laptop by the end of july. I will be using it for gaming, photoshop, CAD drafting, music, photos, movies, and CD burning. The new iBook comes with a 900MHz g3, but only L2 cache, the powerbook comes with a 867MHz g4, It too has only L2 cache. It seems like the ibook and the powerbook are the same except for the g4 processor and the titanium case. I am stumped. Do you think it is a good idea to wait until july and ask these same question. everything could change in a month. Right? Someone guide me in the right direction. thanks

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
My question exactly. I've finally decided that I'll keep my iMac DV 400. It's sort of pokey but in all honesty it does what I need it to; surf, iMovie, Photoshop. It doesn't do the last two very well but I don't do use them often enough for it to be a major issue.

I want a laptop mainly to write. I don't need the extra power of a G4 although I would like the aluminum case.

I'm going to wait another month to see what is announced at WWDC. The PPC 970 and Panther are probably going to be optimized for one another and a G3 may not be able to handle Panther very well. If that is the case, then I'll definitely go for the 12 Powerbook. Although, if i buy a 12 inch iBook I can spend the difference on an iPod and an external hard drive.

I would wait until at least WWDC which is only 4 short weeks away. That way you won't kick yourself IF they come out with something brand new.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Ugg
I would wait until at least WWDC which is only 4 short weeks away. That way you won't kick yourself IF they come out with something brand new.

I would definitely agree with this, with one caveat. If we see a new 15" G4 PowerBook anytime between now and the WWDC, then it's highly unlikely that we'll see any further updates to the PowerBook line up for several months. So, wait for WWDC or the new 15" PowerBook, which ever comes first. (If the new 15" PowerBook sports either a faster G4 or a 970, then you can bet that both the 12" and the 17" will see a similar upgrade in fairly short order.)

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Buy the PowerBook if you want to burn DVDs, otherwise save your money and get the iBook.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
PB

For Altivec optimized Photoshop actions, the 12" PB is 2-4 times faster. For everything else (non Altivec related) it is a crap shoot. I think for you, I would suggest the PB (normally I suggest the iBook, but you seem to be a bit more intense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.