ibook or powerbook???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by billsafire, Apr 26, 2004.

1. billsafire macrumors newbie

Hey, Im a 14 year old boy and i'm required to have a laptop for high school next year. I have decided to switch to Apple, but I cant decide between an ibook or a powerbook. My dad said he'd either buy me a 14. ibook or a 12 in. superdrive powerbook. Which one should I get? Alos, what are the differences between the two? Thanks...

2. powerbook4me macrumors member

uhhh...go 12 inch superdrive.

Faster everything.

3. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I could not disagree more. I am willing to bet you really do not need a SuperDrive. The iBook is MUCH more durable to be toting to school every day. I have a 12" G4 800 iBook and a 12" G4 1GHz PowerBook. The iBook is every bit as good as the PowerBook.

For the 1799 base u'd pay for a 12" PowerBook SuperDrive you could get...

12" iBook 1GHz 1099
    768MB RAM 200
    AirPort Extreme 99
    iPod 20GB 399

Thats a better deal for a 14yo guy like yourself.

The differences are video cards, but the iBook has a great one. HD space, buy for 25 bucks you can up the size of the HD in the 12" iBook. The iBook is made out of a very tough material and is perfect for somoene who might NOT handle it with with extreme care. Also the wireless range on an iBook is WAY better than a PowerBook. I really can't strees how much better (as an owner of both) the iBook would be for you.

Please let us know what you get!

macboyx

4. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

iBook!

I have to agree! iBook.

iBooks are bulletproof. Powerbooks dent. A 14 year old can toss an ibook into a backback, then toss the backpack around, bump it in and out of lockers, drop it onto the floor even, and not fear that his iBook will be dented out of shape.

NOT mind you, that I recommend anyone deliberately bump around their laptop. But an ibook will take the punishment of being knocked about. Powerbooks really need more delicate handling.

Also--though this might have changed with the new powerbooks--historically, iBooks have had better battery life. That means he can go from class to class without needing to plug it in. Powerbooks haven't had very good battery life and can only last one or two classes before needed to be re-charged.

AND, iBooks have also tended to have better wi-fi reception--and I think there's less chance of it being stolen. A 12" powerbook, small and silver as it is, is a tempting target for playground thieves.

One question, billsafire: does your Dad know he can get a 14" iBook with superdrive for $100 less than a 12" powerbook with superdrive?

12" Powerbook with superdrive is about $1800
    14" iBook with superdrive is $1700 ($1500 + $200 superdrive)

But I have to agree, again, with MacboyX--I don't know what you're going to be using this laptop for, but unless you're going to be taking classes where you NEED to burn DVD's--or if you're deeply into making and burning your own movies, why bother? Go for the cheaper iBook, and with the money you save buying an iBook rather than a powerbook ($300!) get extra RAM and Airport Extreme. Better yet, as MacboyX suggests, get a 12" iBook, and save enough mony to also buy a new iPod--maybe a new Mini?

You can always get an external DVD burner later if you want it.

5. mms macrumors 6502a

Agreed. For everyday use, an iBook is great, and perfectly adequate. I have a 12" and I love it. For basic word processing, Internet, and the occasional spreadsheet or powerpoint (what you'll probably be doing most of the time in high school) it would be great.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The decision of iBook v. Powerbook is far less important than your willingness to upgrade RAM... UPGRADE RAM!

7. niter macrumors 6502

iBook

I would go with the 12" iBook and see if you can get an iPod.

The powerbooks are great, but I think that you would get more mileage out of an iBook. I have an iBook 12" G4 800 MB. I would love to have one of the new ones! Still, even with my slower processing speed my iBook preforms incredibly. It meets and exceeds my demands of it as a graduate student in a science field and as a computer hobby toy. I use it for iLife, Office X, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, ChemDraw, and more...

I am a person who is super gentle with her computers, but I will admit that the iBook is one tough little customer. My iBook 12" looks much newer than my coworker's 12" PB. Another HUGE plus to the iBook is that it gets excellent battery lifetime and terrrific WiFi reception. It whips the powerbook on both those points.

For an entry into the Apple world, the iBook is an excellent computer. You will get the experience of an Apple, terrific performance, and you will have enough leftover to get an iPod or max out the RAM.

Also, if you decide later that the iBook is not for you, you can always sell it and recoup a significant amount of the purchase price....

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be picky, but it's mhz. The new iBooks are nice in that its memory ceiling is doubled... mine has a 640MB ceiling (at least for now) and the newer ones can go to 1.2GB. That'll certainly be a strong point if you resell it in the future.

9. win_convert macrumors member

This is a bit related, but probably not.

I am 17 at the end of the year looking for a laptop for year 12/12th grade/6th form -whatever continent you happen to come from.
    Should I get a pbook or an ibook? I will be a little bit less reckless than a 14yo undoubtably and I will want to use it for the three years of Uni/college after that. I am really loving the 12"pbook super at the present, and they dropped in price with the upgrades. Considering this will be the first mac I have ever used or seen, What should I do?

As for the original poster, you should definatly go ibook. Although, you havent specified if you are going to a poncy private school that requires you to have on because it just does, in which case go ibook, or a special IT oriented school, in which case you should probably get the PB.

Thanks.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Why some around here calling 14 year olds wreckless? Heck, I was 14 a couple of weeks ago. I know that if I did buy an iBook (or powerbook), it would be treated with the utmost care. I wouldn't just throw it in my bag, or drop my bag while the iBook was in it. I'm not that stupid, and I'm sure he isn't either.