ibook or tibook

Discussion in 'Community' started by monkeydo_jb, Aug 22, 2002.

1. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2002
    Columbia, MO
    I am a potential 'Switcher' and was wondering something. Purchase the G3 700Mhz ibook now or save till January and get the speed bumped Powerbook. Since I am not a mac user (yet!) I don't know how much of a speed difference there is from the G3 to G4. Something to consider, however, I do a lot with the entire Macromedia suite, gaming, programming, etc. I don't, however, render much video. Let me know what you all think!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    U gotta get the Ti!
    OSX (inc. of course the latest X.2) are optimised for the G4, if you can afford it, GET A TIBOOK! :D
  3. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Wait until Jan, and keep coming to MacRumors. You'll soon be a pro before you even use a mac!:cool:
  4. Dignan macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    Depends on how much you wanna rough it around. I got my Ti cause of video stuff, but, i cant throw it around like my dads ibook. If you never wanna worry about the computer itself, get an ibook. If you are using it as your main computer, id say get the Ti...

So, Ibook if second computer and throwin around.
    Tibook if main computer thats gonna stay on your desk and some trips places
  5. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    As an owner of the original 500 MHz white iBook, I can say that I wish I had bought a TiBook. Granted, the new 700 MHz iBook is a lot faster than the original 500 MHz iBook (and better video card too), but I think if you can afford it, get a TiBook.

The comment about the G4 being better is true...the G3 is only used in one current Apple computer, the iBook (well, the Classic iMac, but that won't be around for long). The G4 is the way of the future. I am saving up my money so I can sell my iBook 500 and get a Powerbook G4 in a year.

Keep in mind that the TiBook has a few small advantages besides processor, video card etc. - it has an audio in port, which all iBooks lack. I have sorely missed it, even though I rarely needed to use it. Hope these comments help a little. If you want a computer that will still be fast enough a few years down the road, get a TiBook.
  6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Well, the new 700MHZ iBooks are a lot faster. One way to look at it is get the iBook now, and IF in January there are new PowerBooks, then you can always sell the iBook, and you probably won't looks much of anything. Especially if you order one with extra ram, etc.

Click on the banner ad on the top of the page to check out our prices.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    cough...cough...TiBook...cough... ;)

seriously though...it really depends on what u need it for...

although...with 10.2 here...along with the other newnesses we're receiving...I'd go for a G4 over a G3..