iBook Painting Guide

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by livingfortoday, Mar 20, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

A while back I had posted up about my attempts to paint my iBook, and I finally finished a step-by-step guide for anyone interested in trying this out:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~atsatsou/ibook/1.htm

Let me know if you have any comments/suggestions/threats etcetera!

Here's a pic of the finished product:
    [​IMG]

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

DEAR GOD MAN NO !!

JUST, NO!!

If Johnathon Ive reads this you better run!!

He's not going to be happy!!

3. jpod999 macrumors newbie

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, that does look very cool. :) Would you please post a pic of how you wrapped the PS printout for the top layer around the rounded corners of the top casing? I didn't understand that. :(

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

nice job!
    i like it. maybe i'd go for a different design, but i like it.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Maybe I wouldn't have done it with my machine, but it sure is very individually. I'm beginning to think about some case moding on my ol' cube...

7. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

All I really did was put the paper on the back (inside) of the case, and then kind of creased it on the edges where the case curved. That held it in place long enough for me to place the cover back on the computer itself. I didn't glue it or anything, just a simple crease with my finger along the edge. Sorry I don't have any pics, I really can't take this apart again, the screws are really worn and stripped.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's a similar project (although the description is not quite as detailed) on a Sony notebook, in case anyone wants to compare results.

[​IMG]

9. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

The beauty of painting the iBook, in my opinion, though, is that since you can take off the shell and make it clear, you can paint the inside of it, therefore making it impossible to scratch off or damage any painting you do. I mean, the Vaio looks awesome and all, but you'd have to be darn careful with it. The down side is that you have to paint it like a mirror image, though, and you also have to paint the picture with the top layers first, which makes it kind of complicated.

But I mean, an iBook is an iBook... a Vaio... well, that's just a PC. :p

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, unlike the iBook, the VAIO's shell is not clear... this painting is on the OUTSIDE of the notebook. No mirror skills required, but it does mean that the painting is exposed to the elements.

Like I said, it's just a similar project... it would be nice to see more notebooks designed to be user-customizable WRT making artistic cases.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Dude, that looks sweet!!! I love the white design, and always thought that a painted one would look like crap. You sure did prove me wrong...:)

12. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Really hate to dig this thread up, but OP would you happen to have that guide still, and if so can you post it somewhere?