iBook Palm Rests - Dirty or Worn?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ITASOR, Aug 27, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Looking at my iBook's palm rests to the left and right of the trackpad, I can see that they are "brown" almost in the exact shape and area that I lean my wrists.

I'm very clean, and I know my wrists aren't dirty when I use my iBook. I am the only user, no one else touches it.

So, I'm wondering if the iBook's palm rests really get worn that quick. I've only had this thing for like 2 weeks exactly. I used it a lot, though.

I used iKlear, but it didn't help even in the slightest way.

My mom reminded me that all the FS: iBook G4 threads in the marketplace on MR have palm rests that look similarly worn.

If that's how it is, I can live with it, but I'm just wondering if anyone else figured out a way to make it go away. I know there's other "how to clean your iBook" threads, but I tried all those methods and CAN'T get the darn thing to look clean!

itasor

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Maybe putting PDA scrren protector film on the palm rest areas may help you with this palm rest blemish problem. I use them on the palm rest areas of my portable 12" PB. The film does not have any sticky glue; so it is clean when you take them off the palm rest. When I am at home, I type with Apple BT keyboard; so this film comes in handy when I am outside of my place.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have a pack of protectors, but I don't really like using them. I don't think spending $1200 on a computer, I should have to really cover it up. Not blaming anyone, but I just don't feel like using them.....haha. It's a good idea though, except my skin sticks to them and lifts them off the computer.

I have an ext. Apple keyboard, but I really like the keys of the iBook's KB, so I just always use that to type. =\

Thanks for the idea though, maybe I'll have to use the protectors from now on. One of the reasons I got the iBook instead of the PB was because of the pitting issue with heavy typers on the built in kb.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Man that's a bummer...

Although you have to be really careful with what you use... since the iBook is plastic... have you looked into any plastic cleaner solutions?

5. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Well, you have to be careful on which one you use. The iBook has paint over the plastic.

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Nope, too scared to wreak it. I'll try some more iKlear and try scrubbing hard.

I don't think it's dirt though, I think it's just worn.

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

www.powersupportusa.com

They sell Wrist Rugs, there are white ones that should fit your iBook. They protect the area where your palm rests on you computer. I use them on my 12 inch PowerBook.

Attached Files:

8. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

A cleaning solution might do the trick. I heard iDrops were good, but i'm not exactly sure you can use it on there. I know with iKlear you can. I heard iDrops takes out scratches too.

I suggest this only because protectors are annoying IMO. I'm just really careful and take care of my iBook like a baby.

9. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Cool. I tried iKlear and it didn't do anything.

We have the same iBook....right down the the amount of RAM!

10. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Yeah, I have the iKlear too, it doesn't say it removes scratches though. If you're willing to shell out the money, iDrops cost like $10, and supposedly remove scratches, so I guess it could clean up the part that looks worn. If not, I guess you could get a protector.

I wonder how yours is already worn though, hehe, maybe its dirt, I don't think it could be worn this early. I'm guessing you've had it the same amount of time as me too.

11. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

2 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's not dirt. I'm clean...lol. Also, I scrubbed it with iKlear wipes and iKlear on the soft cloths they include and it doesn't go away. :( I'll do more scrubbing tonight I guess, just to give it one last try.

12. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

I guess it is worn then. In that case, i'd go for iDrops or something else that removes scratches. I would suppose it could remove the worn look, but its up to you if you want to shell out the cash.

IMO to further prevent from it getting worn, is to minimize as much contact on the area as possible. When I type, the bottoms of my hands are barely touching the areas next to the trackpad. The only thing I see on any area below the keyboard is greasy fingerprints on the trackpad button. Just be careful and good luck.

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've read that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will remove the dirt and stuff from the iBook.

14. ph0rce macrumors 6502

Argh, i hope that doesnt happen to mine :( I dont want to cover up my new toy i mean, it should not be needed to be coverd. if it does go weird i will be going to the apple store and kicking up a fuss about it. wont leave with out a new one.

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Since iBook's palm rest is made of plastic, this blemish (for lack of better words) can be the normal wear and tear progression of plastic. My company-issue Dell X200's palm rest areas are becoming very smooth and a littel reflective after 2 years of use compared to the rest of the plastic texture. I put on iSkin on my PBs to keep the keyboard look like new as keyboards are made of plastic.

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My iBook is a year old and it doesn't look so bad on the palm rests. I use iClean regularly. Here's a product that's been recommended on MacRumors threads before. Never used it myself but would like to get a bottle to try out.

17. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

You mean iKlear? I just tried that and it didn't do anything at all. :( Scrubbed for like 4 minutes. Must not be dirt. =\

18. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Check the link he has, its this stuff called Ice Cream, similar to what I suggested, iDrops, but a little more expensive.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't use Ice Creme on the palm rests! It's only intended for the outer case. It'll wear them even more. Strange-I've had my iBook over a year and use it daily and the palm rests are fine. It's probably just natural oils from your skin. However, I have used iKlear weekly from day one, maybe that's why it still looks good.

20. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I read about only using Ice Creme on the outside, thanks! And I've only had it two weeks.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...maybe you should contact Apple. They seem to keep the iBook display models in pretty good shape at the Apple Store.

22. kygeographer macrumors member

I had a friend that worked for a newspaper, so her iBook was always gettting dirty. She said Simple Green cleaner sprayed on the palm rests, and then vigorously wiped off does wonders.

23. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What sucks is that eventually the track pad will look worn too, if you look at it from a angle. Even on the Albooks.

24. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Is your iBook new? Try going to the apple store or call them and complain. I think a product has a problem if you spend $1200 on it and its wearing.

I remember going to the apple store a while ago to get my iPod fixed. The lady infront of me had a G3 iBook and its palm rests were almost totally black around the area where you res your palms.

My friend with a Ti Books trackpad you can tell is worn if you look at it from a certain angle, same with the trackpad. Amazingly she has no paint cracks or chips and no hinge problems.

25. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm not going to bring it to Apple, because it's not that bad. Just looks a bit worn.

If it does get a problem later, I plan to buy Applecare anyway. A new one would wear the same in 2 weeks anyway.

I guess I need something stronger than iKlear. I'll try the Mr. Clean thing.

This is the best picture I could get of the left one (which is the worst). Surely if this was dirt or gunk it would come off with my scrubbing it with iKlear.

[​IMG]